30-Minute DIY Vinyl Cushion
Have you been looking for a quick way to make cushions? If so, Sailrite® has a blog for you! In this step-by-step tutorial, we’re going to show you how easy it is to make a cushion in just 30 minutes! This technique is called the "Box Corner Cushion." It is made from a single piece of fabric — no boxing, no zipper plaque, and no top and bottom plates. Follow along as we walk you through it.
When you begin your cushion project, or just about any DIY sewing project, keep in mind that you can use our special fabric calculator! The Sailrite® Fabric Calculator does all the tricky math and calculating for you. Simply choose what kind of project you’ll be working on and enter your desired project measurements. Then the Sailrite Fabric Calculator will calculate the correct size and cutouts to make on your fabric piece. We’ll explain this more in detail in the short video at the bottom of this blog.
This cushion tutorial is so quick and easy because it’s made using one piece of fabric instead of cutting multiple pieces and sewing them together. The cushion we’ll be making in this video is also flippable, which means you can get double the life out of your sofa cushions. We also want to mention that the cushion we’re sewing is made from EverSoft Indoor/Outdoor Vinyl Fabric! Why did we choose EverSoft? Well, that’s easy. EverSoft is a super soft synthetic fabric with a look and feel that closely resembles real leather. It’s incredibly durable, waterproof, stain resistant and is backed by a 3-year limited warranty.
It's also important to note that we added a special vent in our cushion for this tutorial. This is a crucial step in all vinyl cushions to ensure proper airflow. We'll explain this in detail in the video, but you should keep this in mind whenever you are constructing a vinyl cushion. Luckily we offer high-quality vent grommets for this purpose!
If you’d like to learn more about why we so proudly stand behind EverSoft vinyl, check out our informative blog titled “What Is EverSoft Vinyl?” (#300445XHT). And don’t forget to show us your finished cushion in the comments below or tag us in a post on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram! We love seeing your projects.
- Measuring Old Foam – 0:58 min
- Cutting Fabric to Size – 4:31 min
- Cutting Corner Notches – 7:02 min
- utting Center Notches – 9:23 min
- Sewing Zipper – 11:36 min
- Sewing Sides – 16:14 min
- Sewing Boxed Corners – 18:38 min
- Inserting Foam – 24:43 min
- Vent Grommets (optional) – 28:40 min
- Materials List – 31:13 min
- Decor & Upholstery Fabric - we used EverSoft Indoor/Outdoor Vinyl Fabric - (#122226)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36Yds) - (#122065)
- YKK® Continuous Zipper Chain #5 Black (Coil Chain) - (#104444)
- Thread from Sailrite - we used V-69
- YKK® Zipper Slider #5 Metal Single Non‑Locking Pull Tab (Coil Chain)- Black (#122251) & White (#122250)
- Cushion Wrap Silk Film 54" - (#103933)
- Vent Grommet Brass 3/4" - (#120747)
- Tape Measure 120 Inch - (#102986)
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - (#101017)
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife - (#121915)
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (110V) - (#103800)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - (#102400)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ‑1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine - (#300602)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Collapsible Sewing Table - (#104821)
- Sailrite® Drill Hole Cutter Set - (#121825)
- Vent Grommet Die Set 3/4" - (#120749)