How to Install Prefabricated Boltrope on a Sail
If your sail requires a size reduction, you can cut the old edge tape and rope off and replace it with prefabricated boltrope. Or, if you have a roller furling genoa that you want to convert to a hank-on sail, you can simply cut the luff tape off and replace it with prefabricated boltrope for a tougher luff rope with hanks. This video will walk you through the steps required to install this prefabricated boltrope on the edge of your sail.
It only takes a few tools and supplies to install prefabricated boltrope onto your sail. You’ll need everyday supplies like basting tape, UV resistant thread, twine, a scratch awl, scissors and hand-sewing needles, among other basic items. One thing you won’t be able to do without is a zigzag stitch sewing machine. You’ll need to sew the boltrope onto the edge of your sail with zigzag stitches. In our video, we’re using the Sailrite® Professional Long Arm 4-Point Sewing Machine. It’s a professional, industrial machine capable of both 2-point and 4-point zigzag stitches, as well as sewing a straight stitch. Though we are using the Professional, this project can also be done with the Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 Sewing Machine.
In this video, you’ll learn how to cut the prefabricated boltrope to the right size for your sail. You’ll also learn how to bast the boltrope to the edge of your sail. We sew two rows of 4-point zigzag stitches along the edge of the boltrope, though you can sew two rows of 2-point zigzags (like the Ultrafeed does) without issue. Next, we’ll show you how to perform a rope reduction at the foot edge of the sail for optimal sail performance. Finally, we’ll finish up with whipping the end of the rope securely inside the sleeve using waxed twine and a hand-sewing needle.
That’s all there is to it! How did your project turn out? Let us know if you have any questions or there’s anything we can do to help. We’re always happy to answer any questions and help our customers get back on the water and enjoying their sailboats!
- Basting & Sewing — 0:19 min
- Whipping & Rope Reduction — 3:43 min
- Materials List — 6:50 min
- Boltrope 5/16" Prefabricated 4" (#100379)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Sailmaking & Vinyl (#659)
- Thread V-92 Polyester White UV (#100079)
- Twine 5-Ply Waxed Bobbin (#29206)
- Sewing Machine (we used the Sailrite® Professional Long Arm 4-Point Zigzag #500600)
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (#103800)
- Scratch Awl Yellow (#2354)
- Premium Cutting Block 10" x 10" (#378100)
- Hand Sewing Needles by The Wm and Smith Co. (#29112)
- Scissors, Pencil, Tape Measure