How to Make Patio Furniture Covers Video
Porches and patios are becoming more like outdoor living spaces as designers introduce more comfortable and stylish options for furniture and accessories. Quality outdoor furniture can be quite the investment, so it's a good idea to protect it from birds, insects and foul weather. A simple way to get this protection is with patio furniture covers. With the help of our video, you can learn how to sew these covers yourself.
Sewing your own outdoor furniture covers allows you to create a tailored and fitted cover customized to your taste. Make your covers bright for a cheery look or downplay your covers with a subtle gray. Select a fabric that is weatherproof and also breathable. Breathability is important for preventing moisture buildup under the cover (aka: mold and mildew). Fabrics like Sunbrella® Marine Grade, Sur Last®, or Top Notch® 9 are all great options.
Learn step-by-step how to pattern, sew together, and add a tensioning device (so your cover stays in place!) to an outdoor cover. This video features an Adirondack chair cover, but the principles can be used for making covers for chairs, loveseats, grills, tables or anything else you need to cover.
- Patterning - 0:14 min.
- Cutting Fabric to Size - 9:04 min.
- Sewing Front & Rear Sections - 12:41 min.
- Sewing Side Panels - 15:05 min.
- Sewing a Reinforcing Stitch - 19:57 min.
- Creating Hem Along Bottom Edge - 21:06 min.
- Installing Leg Bottom Pads - 22:24 min.
- Installing Elastic Tension Device (Optional) - 24:12 min.
- Materials List - 26:40 min.
- Outdoor Cover Fabric
- Dura Skrim® Patterning Material #103134
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape #129
- V-92 Thread
- #1 Spur Grommets #26315 (optional)
- 1/4" Shock Bungee Cord #29304 (optional)
- #1 Hole Cutter #121384
- Premium Cutting Block #103642
- #1 Spur Die Set #18202
- Tape Measure #102986
- Deluxe Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife #103800
- Sewing machine
How are you decorating and protecting your outdoor living space this season? Share your ideas with us in the comments!