How to Make a 2-Bow Bimini Top
Find shelter from the sun and protection from the rain and spray with a bimini top made of long-lasting Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric. With a Standard Color or Premium Color Skin Kit, you can customize or replace your bimini top. This video tutorial will provide a closer look at patterning in detail, sewing, installing a backstay slit, sewing zippered pockets and more with a 2-Bow Bimini Skin Kit from Sailrite. The end result is a custom top that is built to last, so you can spend more time enjoying the water!
In this video, we will be using a 2-bow Bimini Skin Kit to make a top for a 2-bow frame. This top has a maximum width of 106 inches, a maximum spread of 42 inches and a maximum height of 60 inches. Before you can get started on the bimini top, you’ll require a bimini frame to pattern on. It is important to understand what size of bimini frame you are working with because the number of bows in the frame must match the number of bows in the Bimini Skin Kit. For example, a 2-bow bimini frame is only compatible with a 2-bow bimini top. This also applies to our 3- and 4-bow frame and top options. Sailrite carries 2-, 3- and 4- bow frame kits in both stainless steel and aluminum.
To learn how to assemble your Bimini Frame Kit, check out the “How to Install a 2-Bow Bimini Frame” (300191XHT) video.
If you find that our Bimini Skin Kits are missing something essential to your unique project, just let us know and we would be happy to customize a kit for you! Every Sailrite Bimini Skin Kit is designed to fit perfectly with a Bimini Frame Kit for a professional-looking bimini durable enough to last season after season.
A Bimini Frame Kit and Bimini Skin Kit together from Sailrite gives you the great opportunity to customize everything from the material of the frame to the color of the canvas! Our frame kits come with all the hardware and supplies needed to assemble and install the bimini frame, while a paired skin kit includes the fabric and supplies needed to sew the bimini top.
- Patterning Bimini Top – 1:17 min.
- Adding Seam Allowance to Pattern – 9:07 min.
- Transferring Pattern to Fabric & Cutting - 10:50 min.
- Patterning & Cutting Bow Pockets – 13:50 min.
- Making the Tuck Down Tail – 18:35 min.
- Making the Hang Down Tail – 22:17 min.
- Cutting Facing Strips – 26:35 min.
- Binding Sleeve Pockets – 27:50 min.
- Prepping for Backstay Slit (optional) – 30:33 min.
- Basting Zippers to Pockets – 33:09 min.
- Sewing Aft & Tail Sleeve – 41:42 min.
- Sewing Forward Tail & Sleeve – 49:19 min.
- Attaching Pocket Zippers to Top– 55:39 min.
- Installing Backstay Slit (optional) – 1:06:48 min.
- Trimming Tails – 1:23:49
- Binding Bimini Perimeter – 1:24:38 min.
- Installing Strap Eyes for Webbing Straps – 1:27:59 min.
- Installing Bimini Top on Bows – 1:31:35 min.
- Materials List – 1:33:16 min.
- Filament Strapping Tape 3/4’’- Item # 5643*
- Seamstick 3/8’’ Basting Tape for Canvas- Item # 129*
- Sunbrella® Webbing 1’’ Natural- Item #144404*
- YKK® Double Side Release Buckle Black 1’’- Item # 102485*
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material- Item # 122463*
- Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric 46’’- we used Item #4603-0000*
- Thread V-92 Polyester* or Sailrite® PTFE a Lifetime Guarantee Thread (an upgrade)
- Sunbrella® Acrylic Binding 1’’- Item # 331*
- YKK® Finished Zipper #10 White Single Pull (VISLON®)- Item # 104887*
- YKK® Zipper #10 Stainless Steel Top Stop (VISLON®)- Item # 100207*
- Rivet Stainless Steel 5/32" (for Marine Fittings)- Item #121165*
- Strap Eye Stainless Steel- Item #28221**
- YKK® Loop Loc Plastic Black 1’’- Item #104426*
- Webbing Slider Stainless Steel 1’’- Item #28207*
- Fast Eye Snap Hook Stainless Steel 1’’- Item # 100532*
*Included in Bimini Skin Kits
** Included in Bimini Frame Kits
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8’’- Item #101017
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler- Item #107040
- Soapstone Fabric Marking Pencil White- Item #102766
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Deluxe Package- Item #103800
- Tape Measure 120 inch- Item #102986
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6’’ x 24’’- Item #102400
- Deluxe 5 1/2’’ Magnetic Sewing Guide- Item #103597
- Sailrite® Fabricator® Sewing Machine, Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor- Item # 400500
- Sailrite® 1’’ Swing-Away Straight Binder- Item #100103
- Drill Steady Tubing Tool- Item #100967
- Professional Heavy Duty Rivet Tool- Item #103520
- Sharpie Marker, Tape Measure, Straight Edge, Small Line, Pencil, Drill, 1/8’’ Drill Bit, #20 Drill Bit, Screw Driver
Materials for Each Backstay Slit:
- YKK® Finished Zipper #10 Single Pull (VISLON®, Locking)- Item # 104887 or 104830
- YKK® Zipper Slider #10 VISLON® Single Pull (Locking) - Item # 28216 or 100033 (one per slit)
- Vinyl Fabric Strip 3" Wide - we used Shelter Rite Tape - Item #104223 (desired length plus 6" per slit) Naugahyde vinyl can also be used.
- For Each Additional Backstay Slit Add (for pocket / sleeve): YKK® Finished Zipper #10 Single Pull (VISLON®, Locking) - Item # 104887 or 104830