How to Make a Backrest for an Aft Bench Cushion
Powerboats have many different seating configurations and cushion styles. On our Powerboat Makeover, a 1982 Regal 245 XL Ambassador, the aft seating on the bridge deck is made up of a hinged bench cushion and an upholstered backrest cushion attached to the stern rails. This video will show you step-by-step how to re-cover the backrest cushion. Our companion video, "How to Make a Powerboat Aft Bench Cushion" (#200706XHT), will demonstrate how to create the bench seating to accompany the backrest.
Our backrest cushion is attached to the boat’s stern rail via screws, and the backside of the cushion is visible around the railing. To keep an appealing look, the backer board that supports this cushion is hidden inside a vinyl cushion cover. We reused this backer board and the foam inside and sewed a new cover that matches our new upholstery.
This backrest cushion cover is really just a box cushion with a long zipper along the bottom boxing. To plump up the old foam a bit, we added a layer of 1/4-inch Polyurethane Foam with Fabric Backing to the foam and board using a spray adhesive.
In this video you will learn how to pattern the backrest cover, add piping, sew a zipper plaque, assemble the cushion and fill out the foam.
- Measuring & Patterning - 0:35 min.
- Sewing Zipper Plaque - 4:26 min.
- Sewing Piping to Plates - 6:39 min.
- Joining Boxing - 9:34 min.
- Filling Out Old Foam - 19:32 min.
- Inserting Foam with Backer Board - 22:59 min.
- Materials List - 24:07 min.
- Marine Vinyl Fabric (we used Morbern® Seabrook Stinger Bisque #105978)
- YKK® Zipper #5 VISLON® Continuous White #28218
- YKK® Slider #5 VISLON® White Plastic Single Non-Locking Pull #103178
- Outdoor Thread (we used White V-92 Polyester #20204)
- Prefabricated Vinyl Piping (we used Seabrook Vinyl Piping Midnight #120144)
- Fabric Backed 1/4" Sew Foam #124306
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Gingher® Scissors Right Handed #19104
- Sewing Gauge Ruler #102995
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS Walking Foot Sewing Machine #300500
- 3M™ Super 77 Spray Adhesive #636
- Tape measure
- Razor knife
- Straight edge