How to Make a Dog Collar & Leash
Designer dog collars and leashes are a trend that is here to stay. If you don’t want your dog to have the same collar as every other dog on the block, why not make one yourself? Then your dog can step out in style with a new matching collar and leash set. Making your own collar and leash are great projects for beginners and the pair can be completed in an afternoon. Our how-to video will show you how it's done!
Collars can be made fully adjustable by adding a webbing slider, assuring a good fit on your pet. To find the correct amount of webbing to use, measure the circumference of your dog’s neck and add 11 inches.
To add a little flair, sew a decorative ribbon over the body of the webbing on the collar and the leash. You can use any ribbon you like to suit your pet or even to match the seasons!
In the video below, we name each piece of hardware and demonstrate how to install it, eliminating any guesswork. One component that’s especially great for this project is the YKK® Curved Side Release Buckle, which is contoured to match the curve of a dog’s neck. The video features all strong YKK plastic hardware, however several pieces are also available in stainless steel.
- 1” Nylon Webbing (we used White) #100NYHDWH-FT
- Seamstick 3/8” Basting Tape #129
- V-69 Polyester or Nylon Thread
- YKK® Tri-Bar Adjustable Webbing Slider 1” #104420
- YKK® Curved Side Release Buckle Black 1” #104241
- YKK® D-Ring without Bar 1” #104416
- YKK® Snap Hook Swivel & Rotate 1” #104412
- Decorative Ribbon (Optional)
- Sewing machine
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife #103800
- Tape measure or yardstick
- Deluxe Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
Want to sew more for your furry friends? Check out our two pet bed tutorials: "How to Make a PVC Pet Cot or Bed" (#200639XHT) and "How to Make a Dog Bed" (#200635XHT).
Have you made any projects for your pet? Leave a comment and share with us!