How to Make a Golf Cart Cover
A golf cart is a fun, convenient way to get around during the warmer months. However, you may find that your golf cart requires protection from the elements when not in use or protection from dirt and dust while in storage. Creating a custom golf cart cover using fabric from Sailrite is a simple way to ensure your vehicle will remain in great shape, season after season. In this video tutorial, we’ll show you all the steps required to create a protective cover including patterning, basting and sewing panels together, creating an elasticized hem and adding tie-down loops.
Before we can begin, we’ll need to take a few measurements to find the length at the longest point of the golf cart, as well as the height and the width to determine how much fabric will be required. In our video, we used Evolution® Block-It®Fabric for our golf cart cover. We no longer carry Evolution, but we now offer Protect-It™, which is a very similar fabric and offers the same great UV protection as Evolution. Plus, Protect-It is water resistant, a huge advantage when making a vehicle cover.
Protect-It is also mold and mildew resistant and easy to clean. This incredibly breathable fabric is specifically designed to keep your vehicle well protected from moisture, dirt and dust. The top layer offers strength and the bottom layer softness, making it an ideal choice to protect your golf cart. You can also find a wide selection of protective fabrics on our website in a multitude of colors. We’re sure to have something you’ll find ideal for your next cover!
Another useful addition that we’ve added to this particular golf cart cover is an elasticized hem and tie down loops. This will make the cover more fitted and keep your golf cart securely covered, both indoors and out.
From sewing supplies to fabric and helpful how-tos, Sailrite is your one stop shop to creating custom, practical projects like this one. No matter what you may need, we’ve got you covered!
- Determining Fabric Required – 0:38 min.
- Patterning – 2:00 min.
- Marking and Cutting Fabric – 10:51 min.
- Sewing Panels Together – 19:27 min.
- Sewing Hem and Elastic - 26:32 min.
- Adding Tie-Down Loops - 33:23 min.
- Materials List - 35:16 min.
- Filament Strapping Tape 3/4" - Item #5643
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas - Item #129
- Dura-Skrim Patterning Material 74" - Item #122460
- Protect-It™ Gray 63" Fabric - Item #122679
- Thread Natural V-92 Polyester Polyester UV 4oz (1,350 yds) - Item #106386
- Gingher® 8" Scissors - Right Handed - Item #19104/ Left Handed - Item #19105
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - Item #102400
- Marking Chalk for Fabrics - Item #102464
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine - Item #300602
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide - Item #103597
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm - Item #9655
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" - Item #120257
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler - Item #107040
- Elastic White 1" - Item #22202
- Multiuse Pins 1 1/2" - Item #102985
- Sailrite® Woven Sew In Tags - Item #121604
- Tape Measure, Marker, Straightedge
This blog was updated in January 2021 to recommend Protect-It Fabric as a replacement for Evolution Block-It, which we no longer stock.