How to Make a Golf Cart Cover
A golf cart is a fun, convenient way to get around during the warmer months. However, you may find that your golf cart requires protection from the elements when not in use or protection from dirt and dust while in storage. Creating a custom golf cart cover using fabric from Sailrite is a simple way to ensure your vehicle will remain in great shape, season after season. In this video tutorial, we’ll show you all the steps required to create a protective cover including patterning, basting and sewing panels together, creating an elasticized hem and adding tie-down loops.
Before we can begin, we’ll need to take a few measurements to find the length at the longest point of the golf cart, as well as the height and the width to determine how much fabric will be required. We’ll be assembling the cover using three fabric panels made from Evolution® Block-It®Fabric (#121040) available on our website. Evolution is 55 inches in width, so the first and second panels will need to have a seam to join the two panels together. After doing the math, we found that a total of 14 yards of fabric is necessary to create this cover.
While you can use other fabrics for your golf cart cover, Evolution Block-It Fabric features superior UV protection in addition to being mold, mildew and water resistant. This incredibly breathable fabric is specifically designed to keep your vehicle well protected from moisture, dirt and dust. The top layer offers strength and the bottom layer softness, making it an ideal choice to protect your golf cart. You can also find a wide selection of protective fabrics on our website in a multitude of colors. We’re sure to have something you’ll find ideal for your next cover!
Another useful addition that we’ve added to this particular golf cart cover is an elasticized hem and tie down loops. This will make the cover more fitted and keep your golf cart securely covered, both indoors and out.
From sewing supplies to fabric and helpful how-tos, Sailrite is your one stop shop to creating custom, practical projects like this one. No matter what you may need, we’ve got you covered!
- Determining Fabric Required – 0:38 min.
- Patterning – 2:00 min.
- Marking and Cutting Fabric – 10:51 min.
- Sewing Panels Together – 19:27 min.
- Sewing Hem and Elastic - 26:32 min.
- Adding Tie-Down Loops - 33:23 min.
- Materials List - 35:16 min.
- Filament Strapping Tape 3/4" - Item #5643
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas - Item #129
- Dura Skrim Patterning Material 74" - Item #103134
- Evolution® Block-It® Grey 55" Fabric - Item #121040
- Thread Natural V-92 Polyester Polyester UV 4oz (1,350 yds) - Item #106386
- Gingher® 8" Scissors - Right Handed - Item #19104/ Left Handed - Item #19105
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - Item #102400
- Marking Chalk for Fabrics - Item #102464
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine - Item #300602
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide - Item #103597
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm - Item #9655
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" - Item #120257
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler - Item #107040
- Elastic White 2" - Item #68911
- Multi Use Pins 1 1/2" - Item #102985
- Sailrite Woven Sew In Tags - Item #121604
- Tape Measure, Marker, Straight Edge