How to Replace the Canopy on a Patio Swing
If your patio swing canopy is ripped, falling apart or faded, it's time to replace it with higher quality outdoor fabric. This is the follow-up blog to our "How to Replace Fabric on a Patio Swing" (300425XHT) how-to video. If your entire patio swing needs an upgrade, be sure to watch that video as well to learn how to replace the seating fabric on your outdoor swing. If only your canopy needs to be redone, stay tuned to learn how to sew a patio swing canopy with high-quality fabric and supplies from Sailrite®.
The first step is picking out your fabric. We stock hundreds of the best outdoor fabrics in the industry. Our premium outdoor fabrics are UV resistant, stain and mold resistant, and will last for years in the elements. We chose Top Notch® 9 fabric for our canopy. It's a 100% solution-dyed polyester that is breathable, reversible (so it will look the same underneath the canopy) and water-repellent. If you'd like some added style to your canopy, consider a Sunbrella® Awning fabric in a bold striped pattern.
Our canopy is a very simple design and construction. There is no valance around the canopy, and there is also no hollow in the canopy's shape. Basically, it is a large rectangle of fabric with hemming on all four sides with a slot kept open on each short edge for the cording to slide through and attach to the frame.
Watch the video to see how simple this DIY is. It's definitely a project that a beginner sewer can tackle, so don't be intimidated if you are new to sewing. If you're interested in sewing a canopy with a valance edging, check out our other patio swing video, "How to Make a Swing Canopy" (200641XHT).
- Measuring & Fabric Selection – 0:25 min.
- Cutting Fabric to Size – 2:36 min.
- Creating Hems & Sleeves – 3:56 min.
- Inserting Sling Cording & Installing – 7:33 min.
- Materials List – 8:27 min.
- Outdoor cover fabric from Sailrite® (we used Top Notch® 9 Tan 60" Fabric #120451
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas (50 Yards) #129
- Thread V-92 Polyester or Sailrite® PTFE Lifetime Thread #107128
- Awning & Sling Chair Spline Cording (25 Feet) #122114
- Scratch Awl Yellow #2354
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set #121669
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife #103800
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife #121915
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler #107040
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ‑1 BASIC Walking Foot Sewing Machine #300601
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor #120931
We hope you've enjoyed this how-to video! Be sure to post photos in the comments section below so we can see your amazing work!