How to Reupholster a Golf Cart Seat
After seasons of regular use, your golf cart’s seat may begin to show signs of wear and tear. If you’re beginning to notice that your golf cart has seen better days, this step-by-step tutorial can show you how to upgrade your vehicle. As part of our Golf Cart Remodel series, we’ll provide an in-depth look at all the steps required to reupholster the seat of your golf cart utilizing a marine quality vinyl fabric. Here at Sailrite®, we’ve got the supplies and tools needed for you to create your own professional-looking, custom golf cart upholstery that will last for years to come.
For a more tailored look, our design will explain how to incorporate a beautiful two-toned racing stripe down the center each seat and how to make boxing that is sewn into the cover. This tutorial will cover how to sew the plates (top panel) and boxing (side panels) of a golf cart seat, but the backrests will be covered in an additional video “How to Reupholster Golf Cart Back Rests” (300217XHT).
To begin our project, we’ll first need to measure the length and width of the seat, including the material wrapped underneath the backer board. If you decide to use only one color of fabric for your seat, 1 yard may possibly work, but we recommend purchasing 2 yards of fabric, or 1 yard of each color if you decide to recreate the style we’ve chosen in the video.
In crafting the stripped design for this tutorial, we’ve used Morbern® Hexx Copper (#120348), which has a high-luster finish with a micro-hexagon design for a sleek and modern appearance. For the white parts of our seat, we selected Morbern® Allsport 4-Way Stretch Chalk (#104180). Morbern marine and automotive vinyl fabrics are fantastic for outdoor cushions on a golf cart due to their exceptional water, stain and cold weather resistance. They’re also easy to clean with soap and water, so you never have to worry about dirt or grass while you drive! We offer a wide selection of high-quality vinyl fabrics perfect for your golf cart, so feel free to browse our website to find one that works for you.
Most, if not all, golf cart seats are stapled to a backer board. We’ll be attaching the entire sewn fabric assembly to the backer board using the Sailrite® Long Nose Upholstery Staple Gun (#121411). These powerful, lightweight staple guns have a comfort handgrip and a long nose ideal for tackling hard-to-reach areas of upholstery. They make any project a breeze! Finally, to give our golf cart seat a finished look (even on the bottom side), we’ll also be stapling a cushion underlining fabric to the backer board using these staple guns. You will only need 1 yard of cushion underlining material in addition to your vinyl seat fabric.
By the end of this tutorial your reupholstered golf cart seat will be the perfect professional-looking addition to spruce up your vehicle. How do you cruise the course in style? Show us your finished golf cart upholstery projects in the comments, we’d love to see them!
- Determining Fabric Required – 1:11 min.
- Cutting Plates – 2:35 min.
- Sewing Plate Sections Together – 8:47 min.
- Cutting and Sewing Side Boxing – 12:40 min.
- Stapling to Backer Board - 22:17 min.
- Adding Cushion Underlining - 27:59 min
- Materials List - 29:46 min.
- Marine Vinyl Fabric – we used Morbern® Hexx Copper - Item #120348 & Morbern® Allsport 4‑Way Stretch Chalk- Item #104180
- Thread V 92 White Polyester UV 4oz - Item #100079
- Cushion Wrap Silk Film 54" - Item #103933
- Sailrite® 21 Gauge 3/8" (10mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Stainless Steel) - Item #121427
- Cushion Underlining 54" Fabric - Item #768100 (white) / #772100 (black) / #774100 (gray) / #103934 (beige)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - Item #102400
- Tack & Staple Remover - Item #104319
- Tape Measure 120 Inch - Item #102986
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" - Item #120257
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm - Item #9655
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide - Item #103597
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ Walking Foot Sewing Machine - Item #300600
- Gingher® 8" Scissors - Item #19104 (right hand) / #19105 (left hand)
- Sailrite® Long Nose Staple Gun - Item #121411
- Scratch Awl Yellow - Item #2354
- Marker, L-Square, Tape Measure, Pencil, Needle Nose Pliers