DIY Backpack — How to Sew a Backpack Kit
Who doesn’t love a backpack? They’re not just for school either. Backpacks are great for weekend trips, hiking adventures, carry-on luggage, sports practice and more. Most of us have owned a backpack at one point in our lives, but have you ever thought about sewing your own? It’s a great beginner-friendly project and so practical. Everyone can use a backpack, right? In this how-to video, we’re going to show you how to sew your own backpack using a Sailrite® Backpack Kit.
Our Backpack Kits come with all the basic materials you need to sew your backpack. We include the fabric, webbing, YKK® zippers and sliders, basting tape and thread. You just need some basic sewing staples you probably already have on hand, such as a ruler, scissors, marking pencil and a sewing machine. Our Backpack Kits include one yard of Cordura® Bag Fabric. Cordura is a tough, bag-making fabric that’s built to withstand heavy use and the elements. Cordura is treated with a polyurethane coating on the back and a water-repellent finish on the fabric’s front side, making it a great choice when you need a durable fabric that can handle the unpredictability of the outdoors.
The reason we say this is our easiest, most beginner-friendly sewing kit is because your fabric comes pre-plotted. What that means is our plotting machine is programmed to draw all the cut lines and hemlines on the back side of the fabric panel. All you have to do is cut out the panels, match up the numbers and centerlines, and then sew the pieces together. In the video, we’re using the Sailrite® Fabricator® to sew our backpack. The Fabricator is an industrial, straight stitch sewing machine that allows you to sew at incredibly slow speeds without losing power or control. But don’t worry if you don’t have an industrial sewing machine. A home machine should be able to sew the fabric and webbing.
After you’ve ordered your very own Backpack Kit in your choice of four fabric colors — including U.S. Army Camouflage — follow along with our video below to assemble your backpack. Then, be sure to post photos of your finished backpack to your favorite social media site with #Sailrite so we can see your impressive work!
- Cutting Patterns — 0:37 min.
- Creating Front Pocket — 1:25 min.
- Sewing on Front Pocket — 10:12 min.
- Creating & Sewing Straps — 13:27 min.
- Installing Zippered Opening — 31:10 min.
- Creating Outer Band — 36:37 min.
- Sewing Band to Main Body — 42:42 min.
- Materials List — 47:49 min.
- Backpack Kit in color of choice
- Rotary Cutter 28mm #139900
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat #120257
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6” x 24” #102400
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set #121669
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8” #101017
- Sailrite® Fabricator® Sewing Machine, Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor #400500
- Thread Clipper "Kuroha" #121908
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package #103800