DIY a Replacement Roller Shade for Your RV
Roller shades are an important part of any RV. They help with temperature control and shade, and provide much-needed privacy. But most premade roller shades are pretty poor quality. If you need durable and beautiful roller shades to replace the old, worn or low-quality shades that came with your RV, then you’re in the right place. In this RV Renovation Series video, we’ll show you how to replace the low-quality fabric on a premade roller system with sturdy vinyl mesh.
Roller shades are one of the easiest window treatments to DIY, so don’t worry if you haven’t worked with them before. In this video, we’ll teach you how to prep your existing roller shade, cut and attach the new fabric, and reinstall the renovated shade. And even though we put our roller shade in an RV, you can use all the same techniques in the video to install roller shades in your home.
One of the great things about DIY window coverings is that you can choose fabric that best complements your home or RV décor. We selected Phifertex® Plus Vinyl Mesh Flannel for our shade. This fabric is suitable for indoor and outdoor use, so it’s an ideal choice for RV shade fabric. It also boasts an incredible 92.5% shade factor for optimal temperature control inside your RV. Best of all, it’s easy to clean.
Besides your fabric, you only need a few tools and materials to DIY a replacement roller shade. Watch the video below to start sprucing up your roller shades.
Don’t forget — this is just one in a series of renovations we’re doing on a 1987 Airstream Argosy RV. We’re completely overhauling this trailer inside and out. Whether you need inspiration for a DIY on your own RV, or you just want to see the progress on our Airstream, make sure you check out the rest of the renovation series.
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Prepping Roller Shade — 0:30 min.
- Cutting Fabric to Size — 2:33 min.
- Adding Sleeve for Bottom Rod — 6:09 min.
- Attaching Roller Shade — 9:34 min.
- Materials & Tools — 18:55 min.
- Phifertex® Plus Vinyl Mesh Flannel 54" Fabric (#3040726)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas (#122064)
- V-92 Silver UV Bonded Polyester Thread 4 oz. (#106387)
- Sailrite® Double-Sided Cutting Mat 24" x 18" Large (#123112)
- Scribe-All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil (#120681)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Soft Grip Rotary Cutter 45mm (#123114)
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler (#107040)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS PREMIUM Sewing Machine With WorkerB® Power Pack (110V) (#311503)
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed (#19104)
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package (#122177)
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife (#121915)
- Drill, Tape Measure, Sharpie