DIY Tool Roll: How to Make a Tool Roll Bag
Do you need help keeping your sewing and DIY supplies organized and tidy? Then this is the project for you! This Sailrite Tool Roll Kit features four removable zippered pouches that offer plenty of storage for all your sewing tools, notions and hardware. The pouches have clear windows so you can see exactly what's inside. Keep your sewing supplies organized and tidy with our all-inclusive kit. You can pack it up and take it with you on your boat, on the road or wherever you DIY. Are you excited to get your supplies in order? Let's get started on this fun DIY project.
Another great reason to make this Tool Roll Kit? It’s jam-packed with incredibly useful sewing techniques. If you’re a beginner wanting to learn new sewing skills or you’re an old pro in need of a refresher, you’ll find the video tutorial invaluable. Here are just a few of the tips and techniques you’ll learn:
- How to create hems with mitered corners.
- How to sew window material into fabric.
- How to sew zippers.
- How to sew boxing to plates.
- How to sew webbing, hook-and-loop tape and more.
You can apply these valuable sewing skills to a variety of other sewing projects. The skills learned in this kit tutorial will help you in future canvaswork and upholstery projects, including cushions, canvas covers, bags, marine enclosures and more.
We offer three kits to choose from: green, blue and black. The tool roll is made from durable Cordura® Bag Fabric. Cordura is well-known in the industry for its long-lasting, abrasion-resistant fabrics treated with a durable, water-repellent finish. This quality fabric will produce a tool roll that will last for years and years. If you want to choose your own fabric, you can order the pattern template. That way you can customize your tool roll with the fabric, webbing and hardware pieces of your choosing.
Ready to jump into this excellent project? Watch the video below to learn how to make a tool roll.
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Patterning & Cutting Fabric — 1:09 min.
- Hemming & Adding Hook to Tool Roll — 6:17 min.
- Fashioning & Sewing Handle — 18:24 min.
- Sewing Webbing Straps — 24:18 min.
- Installing Window in Top Plate — 30:54 min.
- Sewing Loop to Bottom Plate — 35:09 min.
- Creating Zipper Plaque — 37:59 min.
- Sewing Zipper Plaque to Boxing — 42:57 min.
- Sewing Boxing to Top Plate — 45:20 min.
- Basting & Sewing Assembly to Bottom Plate — 52:39 min.
- How to Use Patterns Again — 57:48 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 59:07 min.
- Cordura® HP or 1000D 60" Fabric from Sailrite (we used 1 yard of #122906)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36 yds.) #122065 (1 roll)
- Nylon Hook 2” Black #100255 (63 inches)
- V-92 Black UV Bonded Polyester Style A Hembob (25 yds.) #103381 (7 each)
- 1" Black Polyester Webbing #100PLLWBK-FT (80 inches)
- YKK® Side Release Heavy Duty Buckle Black 1" #104322 (2 each)
- Lenzip® #10 Black Continuous Chain #124598 (73 inches)
- Lenzip® #10 Black Style C Single Non-Locking Metal Zipper Pull (Coil Chain) #124604 (4 each)
- Sailrite® Woven Sew In Tags (2 pack) #121627 (1 each)
- Plastipane 18 Gauge Vinyl Window Material #124616 (4" x 44")
- Nylon Loop 2" Black #100256 (50 inches)
- Super 88 Spray Adhesive 13 oz. (#123287) or 3M™ Super 77™ Spray Adhesive (#636100)
- Professional Stainless Steel 10" Scissors (#123615)
- Sailrite® Cordless Rotary Cutter (#124044)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set (#121669)
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler (#107040)
- Basic Thread Snips (#123222)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ Walking Foot Sewing Machine (#300600)
- Sailrite® Bakelite Mallet 13 oz. (#123309)
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package (#122177)
- Deluxe 5-1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide (#103597)