How to Make a Storage Bag for Irregularly Shaped Items
Do you have a chair, a folding bike or a piece of equipment that’s an odd shape and doesn’t fit well inside a store-bought storage bag? This tutorial is for you! We’re going to show you how to sew a custom storage bag that perfectly suits an irregularly shaped folding chair. However, you can apply the following techniques to any oddly shaped item you wish to sew a padded storage bag for.
Whether you are concerned about dust, debris, dirt or the outdoors, we know it’s critical to protect the items that are important to you. The storage bag we’ll be showing you how to make features a handle for carrying and a webbing tab for hanging the bag. We will also show you a new and clever way to sew a zipper plaque opening. Our step-by-step video tutorial will walk you through every part of the DIY process, including measuring, adding seam allowances, sewing boxing, adding webbing and more. We’ve created an easy-to-follow resource for you to make a custom storage bag regardless of your sewing skill level.
While we offer hundreds of durable cover fabrics here at Sailrite, we’ve chosen to use Softouch® fabric for our protective bag. Softouch fabric is a water-resistant cover fabric featuring a soft, nonabrasive backing for superior protection. This fabric is ideal for safeguarding your possessions from the elements while preventing scratches on painted, gel coated or delicate surfaces. It can even withstand outdoor and marine environments.
No matter what you’re planning to sew or your sewing skill level, Sailrite is here for you every step of the way. If you ever have questions or concerns during the DIY process, you can give us a call, email us or use the chat function on our website. Our project specialists would be happy to help you with all of your questions and concerns.
- Measuring for Cover - 1:38 min.
- Adding Seam Allowance - 5:36 min.
- Cutting Out Fabric Panels - 9:33 min.
- Creating Zipper Plaque - 20:20 min.
- Adding Webbing Handle - 28:27 min.
- Sewing Boxing Together - 38:04 min.
- Sewing Boxing to Plate - 40:49 min.
- Adding Webbing Loop - 47:26 min.
- Sewing Second Plate - 48:39 min.
- Materials List - 54:48 min.
- Softouch® 60" Fabric - we used Black - #120431
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (50Yds) - #104167
- YKK® Continuous Zipper Chain #5 Black (VISLON®) - #100029
- YKK® Zipper Slider #5 (VISLON®) Black Metal Single Non‑Locking Pull - #103181
- Thread V‑69 Black Polyester UV 4oz (1,350Yds) - #105425
- Webbing Polypropylene 2" Black 800# - #204420
- Webbing Polypropylene 1" Black 360# - #100080
- New England Regatta Single Braid Polyester Rope 3/8" (10mm) White - #240100
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - #102400
- Scribe‑All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl - #121977
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm - #9655
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" - #120257
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS‑1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine (110V) - #300502
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Collapsible Sewing Table - #104821
- Scribe‑All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil - #120681
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package - #122177
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife - #121915
- Left Roping Zipper Foot for Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS‑1 Sewing Machine - #905
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - #101017
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide - #103597