How to Reupholster a Pontoon Corner Bench Backrest
Are you interested in revamping your pontoon seating? With help from Sailrite, it’s easier than ever. In this informative blog, we’ll show you how to reupholster your pontoon corner bench backrest. This video tutorial is part of a three-part series and will cover removing the old vinyl, patterning new vinyl fabric, sewing your fabric, and stapling your materials to the seat frame. Let’s get started!
After years on the water and exposure to the elements, your pontoon seating might not look the best. So, naturally, our first step in this tutorial is to remove the old fabric and foam. Before you do that, it may be a good idea to take a few photos of the original seat so you can get an idea of how everything fits together. You’ll notice when you take your backrest apart that it’s comprised of vinyl fabric, cushion wrap silk film and foam. If any of these need to be replaced (as we expect they will), Sailrite is your one-stop shop for fabric, tools, sewing machines and instructions.
How can you tell if your old cushion foam needs to be replaced? Look for major black spots, which are mold, as this means your foam is no longer up to snuff. If your foam seems compromised, you can choose from a number of foam options available on our website. Check out our blog, “How to Choose an Outdoor Foam” (#300481XHT) for help selecting one.
When it comes to vinyl for your marine cushions, we have the best selection of durable vinyl fabrics. We recommend using brands such as EverSoft, Sunbrella® Horizon, Morbern® or Naugahyde®. These will be the most resilient to the elements and look beautiful on your boat!
Check out our short video below for a complete tutorial on reupholstering your corner pontoon bench backrest. We will walk you through every step so you don’t miss a thing. Let us know in the comments below how your project turned out!
- Removing Old Vinyl Fabric – 0:42 min
- Tracing and Cutting Fabric Panels – 8:23 min
- Sewing Lower Panels – 18:53 min
- Sewing Top Bolster – 29:41 min
- Sewing Channeling – 53:20 min
- Adding Fabric Pull – 1:05:38 min
- Sewing Panels Together – 1:10:40 min
- Stapling Fabric Pull – 1:32:04 min
- Stapling Fabric to Backer Board – 1:36:10 min
- Removing Wrinkles with Steam – 1:46:37 min
- Materials List – 1:48:37 min
- EverSoft Indoor/Outdoor Off White 54" Vinyl Fabric - (#122211)
- EverSoft Indoor/Outdoor Rust 54" Vinyl Fabric - (#122207)
- Thread V‑92 White Polyester UV 4oz (1,350Yds) - (#100079)
- Fabric Backed 1/2" Sew Foam 58" (5Yds) - (#121507)
- Foam Lock Spray Adhesive 12 oz - (#120464)
- Tape Measure 120 Inch - (#102986)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas (36Yds) - (#122064)
- Cushion Wrap Silk Film 54" (10Yds) - (#103933)
- Gauge 3/8" (10mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Stainless Steel) - (#8010SS)
- Staple Lifter - (#120037)
- Seam Ripper Deluxe - (#18104)
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed - (#19104)
- Scribe‑All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl - (#121977)
- Multiuse Pins 1‑1/2" - (#102985)
- Sailrite® Deluxe Fabricator® Sewing Machine Package (110V) - (#400600)
- Right Edge Guide Foot Set 4mm for Sailrite® Fabricator® Sewing Machine - (#400112)
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set - (#121669)
- Sailrite® Long Nose Upholstery Staple Gun - (#121411)