How to Reupholster a Pontoon Corner Bench Seat
Your pontoon can experience a lot of wear and tear from the weather, people, time and more. If your pontoon corner bench seat is in need of an update, you're in luck. In today's blog, we're going to show you how easy it is to upholster your corner seat in beautiful new vinyl fabric. Join us for this tutorial in our Pontoon Upholstery Series. Be sure to check out the rest of the blogs in the series if other parts of your pontoon need redone.
We're using EverSoft™ indoor/outdoor upholstery vinyl for our pontoon upholstery. EverSoft is a beautiful four-way stretch vinyl with a soft hand and excellent durability. It's waterproof, stain resistant, UV resistant and easy to clean. It's a great choice for boat upholstery and cushions. Instead of using a patterning material, we'll show you how to pattern your vinyl from the existing, old vinyl.
There is a lot of shaping and contouring with this corner seat. We'll show you how to number and add matchup marks to every seat panel so that assembly of the new vinyl will be easy and mistake-free. You'll also learn how to add new piping, create a fabric pull, join the panels together and more. The final step is to remove any wrinkles from the seat. We'll show you a trick for using a clothing steamer to gently remove wrinkles in the vinyl.
This is just one of the videos on how to reupholster a pontoon's corner bench seat. Be sure to check out our other blogs on how to reupholster the backrest (#300487XHT) and base (#300489XHT) of our project pontoon. Sailrite is your DIY authority. We have all the fabric, hardware, tools and supplies to tackle projects for your boat, home, RV/auto and more. If you'd like to see all the blogs in our Pontoon Upholstery Series, go to the "Projects & Tips" page of our How-To section, and you'll find it under "How-to Series."
- Removing Old Vinyl – 1:18 min.
- Patterning New Vinyl – 6:38 min.
- Inspecting Old Foam – 11:51 min.
- Making Piping – 14:00 min.
- Sewing Assemblies Together – 16:54 min.
- Creating Fabric Pull – 36:54 min.
- Joining High/Low Panels Together – 40:23 min.
- Cutting New Foam – 49:01 min.
- Stapling Fabric Pull – 52:36 min.
- Stapling Vinyl to Backer Board – 56:54 min.
- Removing Wrinkles with Steam – 1:03:41 min.
- Adding Cushion Underlining – 1:04:33 min.
- Materials List – 1:07:05 min.
- EverSoft™ Indoor/Outdoor Off White 54" Vinyl Fabric - (#122211)
- Foam Piping/Welting Cord 5/32" (50 FT) (#105599)
- Thread V‑92 Natural Polyester UV 4oz (1,350Yds) - (#106386)
- Top Notch® 9 Fabric from Sailrite – we used Cardinal Red (#120460)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36Yds) (#122065)
- Medium Density Polyurethane Antimicrobial Foam (Medium) 3" x 24" x 80" (#183M2480)
- 21 Gauge 3/8" (10mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Stainless Steel) (#8010SS)
- Cushion Underlining Beige 54" Fabric (#103934)
- Staple Lifter (#120037)
- Seam Ripper Deluxe (#18104)
- Gingher® Scissors Right Handed Lightweight 8" (#101017)
- Scribe‑All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl (#121977)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Sailrite® Deluxe Fabricator® Sewing Machine Package (110V) (#400600)
- Cording Foot Set 1/4" for Fabricator® (#400414)
- Sailrite® Blade Foam Saw V2 with Carrying Case (110V) (#121244)
- Sailrite® Long Nose Upholstery Staple Gun (#121411)
- Screwdriver, Marker, Tape Measure