How to Make a 30-Minute Box Corner Cushion
Are you looking for a quick and easy DIY that you’ll use time and time again? Well you’re in luck. In our detailed tutorial, we’re going to show you how to make a gorgeous and functional box corner cushion. The best part about this cushion tutorial is that it should only take about 30 minutes! This method only works for square or rectangular cushions. And you’ll find all the instructions, supplies and tools at Sailrite®.
The foundation of your box corner cushion is the foam, so it’s important to choose one that suits your needs. The longevity of your project depends on it! When we talk about foam, the term density is often thrown around. If you don’t plan on sitting on your box corner cushion frequently, you can use a medium or low density foam (sometimes called an occasional use foam).
However, if you’re looking for a foam that will hold up when used frequently for many years, choose a high density polyurethane foam. Luckily, we have an extensive selection of top-quality foam products at Sailrite. Want to learn more about making a cushion? Refer to our informative blog, “Foam Series: Comparing Types of Cushion Foam” (#300053XHT) to more clearly decipher which type of foam is right for you.
Once you’ve chosen your foam, you’ll want to utilize the Sailrite® Fabric Calculator to make your 30-minute box corner cushion. This handy tool will give you the exact amount of fabric needed to cover your cushion foam. Depending on the size of your cushion, you can play with the orientation of your fabric on the calculator so that you’re only using one panel. Having only one panel of fabric to contend with will make the cushion creation process quicker and easier. Our in-depth video will walk you through the entire process so you’re left with an exquisite-looking box corner cushion!
No matter what tools, supplies, fabric and instructions you need for your sewing project, Sailrite is your one-stop-shop. We have everything you need to let your DIY imagination flourish. Be sure to share in the comments below how your box corner cushion turned out!
- Which Foam Should I Buy? – 0:40 min
- Using the Fabric Calculator – 2:01 min
- Cutting Foam to Size – 2:57 min
- Large Cushion Discussion – 4:50 min
- Cutting Fabric to Size – 5:18 min
- Cutting Corner Notches – 8:34 min
- Cutting Center Notches – 10:01 min
- Sewing Zipper – 11:45 min
- Sewing Sides – 16:18 min
- Sewing Boxed Corners – 18:56 min
- Inserting Foam – 24:09 min
- Materials List – 27:49 min
- Fabric from Sailrite - we used Sunbrella® Sailrite® Divide Havana - (#145504-0001)
- Foam from Sailrite - we used High Density Polyurethane Foam (Medium) 4" x 24" x 80" - (#284M2480)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36Yds) - (#122065)
- Thread from Sailrite - we used V‑69 Natural Polyester UV 4oz (1,350Yds) - (#106135)
- Continuous Zipper Chain #5 Coil White - Item # 104387 or Black - (#104444)
- Zipper Slider (non-locking) #5 Coil White - Item # 122250 or Black - (#122251)
- Cushion Wrap Silk Film 54" - (#103933)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - (#102400)
- Sailrite® Blade Foam Saw V2 with Carrying Case - (#121244)
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife - (#121915)
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package - (#103800)
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler - (#107040)
- Scribe‑All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl - (#121977)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ‑1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine - (#300602)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Collapsible Sewing Table - (#104821)
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide - (#103597)