How to Sew a Curved Seat Back Cushion
Some patio furniture might have a curved back. This can make sewing your own patio seat back cushions a bit tricky. But no worries! In our how-to video, we're going to show you how to sew a curved cushion that will fit a concave-shaped backrest. This video tutorial is part of our "Expanded Dining Area Patio" blog series. Join us and learn how to make a backrest cushion that actually curves to the shape of your curved patio furniture.
Our previous video, "How to Make Cushions for a Curved Patio Set" (#200702XHT) showed you how to sew the seat cushions for our curved patio furniture. In that video, the backrest cushions were not curved. Instead, we made two backrest cushions per curved section of the furniture. The two straight, regular box cushions were easy to make. However, after we made them we noticed a bit of overhang on the edges of the furniture piece because the straight back cushions did not accommodate for the curve in the furniture or the curve in the seat cushion.
This video tutorial is a little more complex but will result in a fantastic looking backrest that is shaped to perfectly complement the shape of the wrought iron furniture set. The key to adding a curve in the cushion is to pattern it very carefully. Watch closely to our video as we show you all the steps to patterning and sewing a curved cushion.
We hope this cushion tutorial has been helpful and informative. Sailrite® is your one-stop shop for all things sewing DIY. Not only do we have all the fabrics, tools, notions and supplies you need to sew for your home, patio, boat and RV/auto, we also have hundreds of high-quality how-to videos to help you tackle all your dream DIYs! If you want to check out the rest of the videos in this patio series, go to the "Projects & Tips" section of our How-To page and click on "Expanded Dining Area Patio."
- The Facts about Curved Cushions – 0:29 min.
- Patterning Top & Bottom Boxing – 3:00 min.
- Patterning Side Boxing – 12:48 min.
- Patterning Plates – 16:02 min.
- Creating Zipper Plaque – 23:53 min.
- Cutting Sides & Top Boxing – 32:22 min.
- Sewing Side & Top Boxing Together – 34:43 min.
- Sewing Boxing to Front Plate – 36:17 min.
- Gluing & Cutting Foam – 44:33 min.
- Sewing Assembly to Back Plate – 46:36 min.
- Stuffing Foam in Cover – 51:53 min.
- Materials List – 53:49 min.
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material (#103134)
- Sunbrella® Canvas Parrot 54" Upholstery Fabric (#5405-0000)
- YKK® Zipper #5 Vislon® Continuous White (#28218)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas (#104167)
- V-69 Nylon Thread from Sailrite
- YKK® Slider #5 Vislon® White Plastic Single Non-Locking Pull (#103178)
- Dry Fast Open Cell Foam 3" x 48" x 72" (#183M4872)
- Tape measure, Marker, Scissors, Straightedge, Pencil, Tape, Calculator, Sewing Machine, Electric Kitchen Knife
- Multiuse Pins 1 1/2" (#102985)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Tape Measure 120 Inch (#102986)
- Sewing Gauge Ruler 6" (#102995)
- 3M™ General Trim Adhesive (#73211)