How to Make Cushions for a Curved Patio Set
Curved patio sets make great seating for conversation or for placing around a fire pit. These stylish and practical seating arrangements look great but when the cushions are starting to look worn and faded they can seem intimidating to recover. In this video, we break down how to accommodate all the curves and create stylish new cushions for any curved patio set.
We are creating new cushions for an old, wrought iron patio set that has been in storage for many years and its original cushions are long gone. Before starting on the cushions, we gave the frame a spruce by treating the rust and giving it all a fresh coat of spray paint. Since we’re starting from scratch, you’ll see in the video how to pattern the cushions from the frame and how to cut the foam to size.
The biggest challenge of this seating arrangement was the curved seat back cushions. After experimenting with different styles, we settled on creating two cushions with shape for each section of our patio set. However, if you’d rather create one curved cushion per set, we made a second video on that technique as well.
Part 1: Making Seat Cushions
- Patterning Plates – 0:58 min.
- Cutting Foam – 6:12 min.
- Measuring & Patterning Boxing – 10:23 min.
- Making Zipper Plaque & Sewing to Boxing – 14:41 min.
- Making Piping – 21:28 min.
- Sewing Piping to Plates – 25:27 min.
- Sewing Boxing to Plate – 29:42 min.
- Sewing Assembly to Next Plate – 36:47 min.
- Inserting Foam – 43:38 min.
- Material List – 46:31 min.
Part 2: Making Backrest Cushions
- Explaining the Curved Back – 46:55 min.
- Patterning Plates – 48:30 min.
- Measuring Foam, Cutting Boxing, Making Ties, Sewing Piping on Plates – 56:26 min.
- Sewing Tie on Back Plate – 59:26 min.
- Sewing Boxing to Plates – 1:00:10 min.
- Inserting Foam – 1:02:38 min.
- Material List – 1:04:02 min.
- Outdoor Living Fabric (we used Sunbrella®)
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material #103134
- V-69 Polyester Thread (we used white #20203)
- YKK® Zipper #5 VISLON® Continuous White #28218
- YKK® Slider #5 VISLON® White Plastic Single Non-Locking Pull #103178
- Foam Piping/Welting Cord 5/32" #1055
- Outdoor Living Foam (we used Dry Fast Open Cell Foam #106403)
- Polyester Batting White #100158
- 3M™ General Trim Adhesive #73211 or 3M™ Super 77 Spray Adhesive #636
- Polyester Fiberfill #104467 (optional)
- Multiuse Pins 1 1/2" #102985
- Gingher® Scissors Right Handed #19104
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife #103800
- Tape Measure 120 Inch #102986
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine #300502
- Sewing Gauge Ruler 6" #102995
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm #9655
- Cutting Mat 18" x 24" #102990
- Electric kitchen knife
- Tape measure
- Items used to clean & restore metal frames: metal brush, steel wool, Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer and Rust-Oleum Hammered Spray Paint
Now that you have nice, new cushions for your patio set, learn how to make a protective cover for it in our companion video, "How to Make a Cover for a Curved Patio Set" (#200701XHT).