How to Make Snap-On Enclosure Panels for a Screen Porch
Who doesn’t love relaxing and sipping a warm beverage from the shaded comfort of a screen porch? But when the rain comes and the weather turns, suddenly you’re stuck inside. Not anymore! With tools and supplies from Sailrite®, you can make porch enclosure panels. The panels snap onto the outside of your screen doors and windows to block rain and add some insulation, allowing you to enjoy your porch for more than just the summer months. Bask in the beauty of nature’s fall palette. Watch the kids build snowmen in the yard (with the addition of a space heater) — all from the comfort and protection of your screened-in porch. Let’s get started on this extremely practical and easy-to-make project.
In today’s DIY porch enclosure video, we’re going to show you how to sew and install clear vinyl panels for your screened-in porch. These panels, while not completely weatherproof, will greatly extend the seasonal use of your outdoor space. And it only takes a minute to snap them on and off, so installing and removing the panels is a simple process.
For our enclosure panels, we chose a 30 gauge clear vinyl material. Size 30 gauge is an ideal vinyl thickness as it’s thick enough to offer some insulating protection yet easy to roll up and store when not in use. We have a great selection of clear vinyl window material in a variety of thicknesses; you’re sure to find a clear vinyl at Sailrite. In fact, our Window Material Buying Guide is a handy PDF that compares all of our brands of clear vinyl window material. Rated by clarity, UV resistance, price and more, it’ll help you determine which brand and vinyl gauge is right for your project needs.
Watch the video below to see how we measured, constructed and installed our enclosure panel. Then grab the supplies you need from the Materials and Tools Lists below and get started on your own porch enclosure panels!
What did you think of this screen porch enclosure project? Would you like to see more DIYs like this? Post your project requests in the comments section below and they might become a future Sailrite DIY video!
- Intro - 0:00 min.
- Measuring for Snap-On Panel - 0:51 min.
- Measuring & Cutting Materials - 1:39 min.
- Hemming Perimeter facings - 4:48 min.
- Basting & Sewing Top & Bottom Facings - 7:57 min.
- Basting & Sewing Side Facings - 13:24 min.
- Installing Snaps - 16:18 min.
- Installing Enclosure Panel - 19:33 min.
- Materials & Tools List - 22:58 min.
- Strataglass™ 30 Gauge Vinyl Window Material 54" x 110" Clear #791123
- Weblon Regatta® White 62" Vinyl Fabric #624171
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Sailmaking & Vinyl (50 yds.) #659
- V-92 Natural UV Bonded Polyester Thread 4 oz. (1,350 yds.) #106386
- DOT® Snap Fastener Cloth-to-Surface Set 3/8" Screw (Stainless Steel) #444002
- Scribe-All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl #121977
- Professional Stainless Steel 10" Scissors #123615
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 PREMIUM Sewing Machine With WorkerB® Power Pack (110V) #311603
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table #120934
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler #107040
- Pres-N-Snap Installation Tool #109011
- Sailrite® Snap Fastener Deluxe Installation Tool #100949
- Snap Fastener Installation Tool #25204
- Sailrite® Drill Hole Cutter Set #121825
- Barry King Mallet Hammer Style 3# #68563
- Drill, Tape Measure, Pencil, T-Square