DIY Tool Bag: How to Make a Utility Tote Bag Kit
Are you ready to advance your sewing skills while learning how to make your own utility bag? Our Sailrite® Utility Tote Bag Kit is the perfect way to create a custom bag with plenty of pockets and space for all your essentials while building your skill set. The accompanying video tutorial is like taking an online sewing class. You'll learn so many techniques while assembling and sewing your bag that your DIY confidence will soar. Keep reading to learn more about our Utility Tote Bag Kit and how you can order yours!
This Sailrite-exclusive kit comes with all the materials you need to make a custom utility tote for your tools. Take it with you on job sites, keep it in your car as an emergency kit — the uses for this versatile tote are endless. With eight exterior pockets and two large interior pockets, there’s plenty of space to store and organize your essentials.
Here are just a few of the skills you'll learn while making this utility tote bag:
- How to create pleated pockets.
- How to finish raw edges inside a bag.
- How to sew zippers.
- How to reinforce a bag bottom.
- How to make webbing handles.
- And more!
The Utility Tote Bag Kit comes with all the supplies you need to sew your own tote. The bag is made from Cordura® Classic 1000D, a rugged and durable nylon bag fabric. The pattern comes pre-plotted on reusable Sailrite® Patterning Material. The pattern pieces are even numbered for you, making assembly a breeze. Once the patterning material template pieces are cut out, you can reuse them again and again with new fabric, webbing and hardware to make as many utility totes as you want. Strong cotton webbing handles and DuraWax™ Waxed Canvas reinforcements on the bottom make this multiuse tote a total workhorse.
Ready to pick your bag kit color? Choose from the five options below:
- Sailrite® Utility Tote Bag Kit Red #125363
- Sailrite® Utility Tote Bag Kit Forest Green #125367
- Sailrite® Utility Tote Bag Kit Pacific Blue #125365
- Sailrite® Utility Tote Bag Kit Light Gray #125364
- Sailrite® Utility Tote Bag Kit U.S. Army Camouflage #125366
Finished Utility Bag Measurements: approximately 17"L x 10-1/2"W x 11"H
Excited to make this handy canvas tool bag? Watch the video below for the step-by-step video tutorial. Beneath the video, you'll find the complete tools and materials lists you need to make your own custom utility tote.
- Intro - 0:00 min.
- Patterning Fabric - 0:50 min.
- Sewing Leather Tag - 3:29 min.
- Pleating & Hemming Pockets - 7:33 min.
- Sewing Pockets to Main Body - 11:50 min.
- Sewing Webbing Straps - 15:53 min.
- Sewing Inside Pockets - 21:32 min.
- Adding Wax Canvas Bottom - 25:35 min.
- Sewing Zipper Plaque - 33:31 min.
- Sewing Zipper Plaque to Main Body - 37:47 min.
- Sewing Grosgrain - 50:56 min.
- Materials & Tools - 55:13 min.
Materials List (if not ordering a kit):
- DuraWax™ Light Waxed Canvas Cotton Duck 12 oz. Black 57" Fabric - SKU: 122411 - 1/4 Yard
- Cordura® Classic 1000D 60" Fabric - We Used - SKU: 122914 - 1 Yard
- Black Heavy Duty Cotton Webbing - SKU: 124915-200-10 - 6 Feet Each
- Lenzip® #10 Black Bag Style Molded Tooth Zipper 24" (Metal Single Pull Slider) - SKU: 124433-24-NL - 1 Each
- Polyester Grosgrain Webbing - We Used - SKU: 100PLGGBL-FT 7 Feet Each
- Coats Extra Strong® Tex 70 Black Nylon Upholstery Thread (150 yds.) - SKU: 104813 - 1 Each
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36 yds.) - SKU: 122065 - 1 Each
- Sailrite® Debossed Leather Tag - SKU: 125103 - 1 Each
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - SKU: 101017
- Multiuse Pins 1-1/2" (250 pack) - SKU: 102985
- Scribe-All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil - SKU: 120681
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ Walking Foot Sewing Machine (110V) - SKU: 311602
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table - SKU: 120934
- Sailrite® Battery Operated Thread Burner - SKU: 122432
- Basic Thread Snips - SKU: 123222
- Sailrite® Tempered Cutting Glass - SKU: 121915
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package - SKU: 122177
- Sewing Gauge Ruler 6" - SKU: 102995
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - SKU: 102400
- Sailrite® Scratch Awl - SKU: 123270
- Magnetic Sewing Guide - SKU: 102983