DIY Box Cushion: How to Make a Vinyl Box Cushion
Want a great-looking cushion that's easy to make? Our how-to video will show you how to sew a vinyl cushion for your boat, patio, home and more. You can find all the fabric, notions and supplies to make this cushion right here at Sailrite®. We're your one-stop shop for sewing supplies, and our free project tutorials and resources will start your project off in the right direction. Join us as we make this easy box cushion.
We're making our vinyl cushion with EverSoft™ vinyl upholstery fabric. EverSoft is a four-way stretch vinyl with an incredibly soft hand. It will add style and luxury to any space. We're adding a panel of EverSoft™ Channeling Fabric to the cushion top to give the cushion some added style, interest and a pop of color.
For the cushion bottom, we chose Super Grip Nonslip Cushion Underlining. This perforated, nonskid fabric is slip resistant. It offers superior grip in wet, dry, hot and cold conditions. With Super Grip on the bottom of your cushion, it won't slide around when you're sitting on it. This makes Super Grip a great choice for the bottom of boat cushions. The perforations in the fabric allow air to circulate and encourage water drainage should your foam get wet.
In this detailed video tutorial, you'll learn everything you need to know to sew a well-made, professional-looking box cushion. You'll learn how to sew in the channeling fabric to your cushion panel and add topstitches along the sides of the channeling. You'll learn how to sew piping around the top and bottom of the cushion and how to install your zipper plaque on the back side of the cushion so it's hidden from view.
For other cushion and seating tutorials, check out our extensive collection of how-to videos and blogs. We have cushion and upholstery tutorials for your boat, patio, home, auto/RV and more. Just type "cushion" into the search field and click on the "DIY Projects" tab to explore our helpful DIY tutorials.
What did you think of this box cushion DIY? Where would you use a cushion like this? Let us know in the comments below!
- Using Sailrite’s Fabric Calculator – 1:52 min.
- Cutting Foam to Size – 3:24 min.
- Cutting Top & Bottom Plates – 6:54 min.
- Sewing Channeling in Top Plate – 11:41 min.
- Cutting Boxing to Size – 15:50 min.
- Creating Zipper Plaque Boxing – 20:18 min.
- Making Piping – 26:23 min.
- Adding Piping to Plates – 32:16 min.
- Sewing Boxing Ends Together – 40:29 min.
- Sewing Boxing to Top Plate – 44:29 min.
- Sewing Assembly to Bottom Plate – 54:08 min.
- Inserting Foam – 1:05:11 min.
- Materials List – 1:09:40 min.
- CushionRite™ Dry Fast Antimicrobial Foam (Firm) (#124204)
- Super Grip Nonslip Cushion Underlining Black 54" (#122530)
- EverSoft™ Indoor/Outdoor White 54" Vinyl Fabric (#122227)
- EverSoft™ Denim 54" Vinyl Channeling Fabric (#122401)
- Thread V‑92 White Polyester UV 4 oz. (1,350 yds.) (#100079)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36 yds.) (#122065)
- YKK® Continuous Zipper #5 White (Molded Tooth Chain) (#28218)
- YKK® Zipper Slider #5 White Plastic Single Non‑Locking Pull (Molded Tooth Chain) (#103178)
- Foam Piping/Welting Cord 5/32" (50 ft.) (#105599)
- Sailrite® Blade Foam Saw V2 with Carrying Case (110V) (#121244)
- Scribe‑All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil (#120681)
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" (#101017)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS Walking Foot Sewing Machine (100-230V) (#300500)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Collapsible Sewing Table (#104821)
- Deluxe 5-1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide (#103597)
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm (#9655)
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" (#120257)
- Straightedge, Marker, Tape Measure