How to Make a Magnetic Door Screen
Keep bugs at bay while enjoying the breeze by sewing your own magnetic door screen. In our detailed tutorial, we’ll show you how to make a door screen for a yacht. This technique can also be used to create screens for RVs, covered porches, seasonal sunrooms and more. Let's get started!
This magnetic screen is so easy to make! We've created our screen using YKK® SNAD® fasteners, which have strong adhesive backs that stick to numerous surfaces. This way, you won't have to drill any holes into your fiberglass, wall or door frame to install your screen. Even though we use the flexible silicone SNADs for this project, we recommend using a plastic SNAD wherever possible on flat surfaces. Plastic SNADs are not suitable for curved or uneven surfaces; in these instances, silicone SNADs should be used instead.
To prep the fiberglass surface prior to installing the SNADs, we strongly recommend applying 3M™ Tape Primer 94 Adhesive Promoter (#104166) for best adhesion results over a long period of time. We've also added two straps at the top of the screen door that will allow you to roll up the screen and keep it out of the way. You don’t have to remove it from the doorframe if you want it rolled up!
We'll start our tutorial by showing you how to properly measure your doorframe to fit your unique specifications. Then we'll move on to marking and cutting our netting and sewing it. You'll notice when you watch our video tutorial that we've also added magnets to the side hems of the screen. These will help keep the screen securely closed by attaching to the magnets we've added on the doorframe.
Regardless of your sewing skill level, this DIY magnetic screen door is a quick and easy project that you can make yourself. We've described each step in detail within our video tutorial. And if you ever have concerns or questions during the process, we'll be here to help you. You can contact a member of our knowledgeable customer support team any time you're stuck — simply call, email or use the chat function on our website. And don't forget to post your final project on social media and tag Sailrite so we can see your finished work!
- Measuring Door & Cutting Netting — 0:56 min.
- Creating & Sewing Hems — 3:17 min.
- Adding Drapery Weights to Bottom Edge — 11:38 min.
- Adding Pull Tabs & Magnets — 16:13 min.
- Installing Snaps — 25:02 min.
- Adding Hook & Loop Straps — 26:32 min.
- Installing Door Screen — 32:27 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 34:12 min.
- Fiberglass Mesh Charcoal 60" Fabric (#103122)
- Triangle Tailor's Chalk ‑ White (#121912)
- Thread V‑69 Black Polyester UV 4 oz. (1,350 yds.) (#105425)
- Drapery Weight No Tab 1" (#100186)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36 yds.) (#122065)
- Grosgrain Polyester Binding Black 1" (#105421)
- Nylon Black Loop 1" (#472100)
- Nylon Black Hook 1" (#469100)
- YKK® SNAD® Fastener Adhesive‑Backed Flexible Base Stud Clear (25mm) (#104451)
- DOT® Snap Fastener Button 11/64" (Nickel‑Plated Brass) (#333777)
- DOT® Snap Fastener Normal Action Socket (Nickel‑Plated Brass) (#333050)
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" (#120257)
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm (#9655)
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler (#107040)
- Scribe‑All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil (#120681)
- Wonder Clips ‑ Assorted Colors (Set of 50) (#121902)
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide (#103597)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ‑1 BASIC Walking Foot Sewing Machine (110V) (#300601)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table & Workhorse® Servo Motor (110V) (#120931)
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package (#122177)
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife (#121915)
- Pres‑N‑Snap Installation Tool (#109011)
- Neodymium Disc Magnets (Available at Local Hardware Stores)