DIY Duffle Bag — How to Sew a Round Duffle Bag Kit
Learn how to sew your own round duffle bag! This duffle bag is large enough to fit multiple sets of clothing and toiletries for a short trip. It's even great as a gym bag or for carrying sports equipment. Our Round Duffle Bag Kit comes pre-plotted with cut lines and hem lines to make it easy to cut out the various pieces and assemble them. The pre-plotted pattern makes this kit an excellent beginner sewing project for those wanting to sharpen and practice their sewing skills.
Our Round Duffle Bag Kit is made using Cordura® Classic 1000D fabric. Cordura is a heavy-duty, high-tenacity bag fabric that we recommend for backpacks, duffle bags, totes, wallets, sail bags, luggage, military gear, protective outerwear and more. Cordura Classic 1000D has a polyurethane coating on the back side and a water-repellent finish on the front to create a rugged material that is strong, versatile and reliable in the most demanding outdoor environments.
This duffle bag kit is a fantastic project for learning new skills or brushing up on various sewing techniques. You'll learn how to create shoulder straps, how to install zippers, how to sew circles on a barrel and more. The duffle bag features two outside zippered pockets for easy access to your phone and other essentials. Two inside pockets keep small items separate so you don't have to rifle through the bag looking for them. Swivel hooks sewn on the inside of the bag let you easily attach your keys so you always know where they are. A shoulder strap and shorter handles give you two ways to carry this useful duffle bag.
At certain points during this project, we're sewing through four layers of webbing plus a sewable D-ring. To handle that amount of material thickness, you'll need a heavy-duty sewing machine like the Sailrite® Ultrafeed®. This portable and powerful sewing machine can breeze through multiple layers of webbing and fabric with no loss of power or skipped stitches.
Build confidence in your sewing skills by creating this Round Duffle Bag Kit! Watch the video below to learn how to sew your own duffle bag.
- Cutting Patterns — 0:38 min.
- Creating Front Pockets — 2:48 min.
- Sewing on Front Pockets — 6:28 min.
- Creating and Sewing Straps — 8:18 min.
- Installing Zippered Opening — 14:36 min.
- Creating Inside Pockets — 16:26 min.
- Adding D-Rings and Hooks — 18:46 min.
- Sewing Circles on Barrel — 23:52 min.
- Creating Shoulder Strap — 28:40 min.
- Materials List — 32:36 min.
- Round Duffle Bag Kit in color of choice
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" #101017
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler #107040
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ‑1 BASIC Sewing Machine (110V) #300601
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor (110V) #120931
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (110V) #103800
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife #121915
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set #121669
- Scribe‑All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil #120681
- Tape Measure 120 Inch #102986
- Pencil, stapler, screwdriver