How to Make a Bimini Boot
Keep your bimini top looking its best for years to come with a custom bimini boot. A bimini boot is a cover for the bimini top when it is collapsed. Typically made from the same fabric as the bimini top itself, the boot protects the bimini fabric and keeps it from flapping in the wind when not in use. Learn how to pattern and sew your own custom bimini boot with our step-by-step video tutorial.
We built this bimini boot to accompany the new bimini top we built for our Camp Whitley Project Pontoon boat. We used the same fabric as the top, Top Notch® 9 Burgundy Weave. Top Notch 9 is a durable solution-dyed polyester fabric with excellent dimensional stability, so it’s a great choice for tops, especially here in the Midwest where the sun is not as hot as in the tropics.
To pattern a bimini boot, it’s best to remove the entire bimini top, including the frame, from the boat and using it to pattern the boot around. This will ensure a custom fit with all the proper curves accounted for. In the video, we’ll walk you through patterning the cover, sewing the panels together, adding binding trim and installing the zipper.
Installed bimini boot on the finished pontoon with Camp Whitley campers aboard
The bimini we built this cover for didn’t have any obstacles to pattern around, but if your boat has a backstay or anchor light that needs accommodated at the top of the bimini boot, we’ve also included instructions for creating a zippered slit for obstacles such as these at the end of the video.
- Patterning with Bimini Top – 1:06 min.
- Cutting Patterns – 11:40 min.
- Sewing Spline – 14:00 min.
- Basting Zipper – 18:44 min.
- Sewing Binding & Zipper – 22:59 min.
- Installing Sailrite Logo – 30:17 min.
- Creating Backstay or Anchor Light Slit – 31:30 min.
- Materials List – 43:36 min.
- Marine Fabric (we used Top Notch® 9 Burgundy Weave #120452)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas #129
- YKK® Finished Zipper #10 Black Single Pull (VISLON) #104830
- V-92 Polyester or Lifetime Thread
- 1" Binding Tape (we used Top Notch 9 Polyester Bias Binding Tape Black #120940)
- Sailrite® Adhesive Backed Logo #560 (optional)
- Tape Shelter‑Rite® 18oz Black 3" #104222 (optional - for obstacle slit only)
- Tape Measure 120-Inch #102986
- Soapstone Fabric Marking Pencil White #102766
- Gingher Scissors #19104 (right-handed)
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler #107040
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package #103800 (110 Volt)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ‑1 PLUS (110V) Walking Foot Sewing Machine #300602
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed Industrial Sewing Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor #120931
- Deluxe 5-1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Sailrite® 1" Swing‑Away Straight Binder #100103
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Scribe‑All Water Soluble Marking Pencil White #120681