How to Make a Cone-Shaped Cover
When the weather starts to change and you suddenly find that you need to cover some oddly shaped lawn ornaments, don’t panic! Here at Sailrite®, we’ve got a detailed tutorial for that. In fact, making a cone-shaped cover for oddly shaped structures typically requires a lot of sophisticated calculations and laborious planning, but it doesn’t have to. Follow along as we show you the stress-free way to make your own cone-shaped cover from start to finish.
Making a cone-shaped cover is made that much easier using our Sailrite Cone Calculator! It performs all the calculations required for your projected fabric shape. All you need to do is take a few measurements of the structure and enter those into the cone calculator on our website. After that, the calculator will illustrate, step by step, how to cut the project cone shape from the outdoor fabric of your choosing. And after you’ve cut the fabric to size, our free video tutorial will guide you through the rest of the project.
When choosing an outdoor cover fabric, you’ll be pleased to know that Sailrite has an extensive collection of durable, weather-resistant options. For the cone-shaped cover that we made in our video tutorial, we chose to use Top Gun® fabric. This 100% polyester fabric features an acrylic coating that provides unrivaled protection from the elements as well as superior tear and abrasion resistance. The proprietary coating on Top Gun means that it’s completely reversible and it will not crack or peel, even in extreme heat or subzero temperatures. This makes it an excellent choice for a cover fabric that will need to endure months of outdoor exposure.
Follow along with the video below to discover how to make your ideal cone-shaped cover. And after you’ve created it, be sure to post a picture on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and tag us or use #Sailrite in the caption. We’d love to see your finished masterpiece.
- Measuring Structure – 0:43 min
- Patterning Projected Cone Shape – 1:55 min
- Joining Cone Sides – 9:45 min
- Adding a Round Top (if required) – 15:02 min
- Adding a Skirt (if required) – 19:18 min
- Creating a Hem at Bottom – 32:27 min
- Materials List – 34:55 min
- Outdoor Cover Fabric from Sailrite - we used Top Gun Forest Green - #120392
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas - #122064
- Thread V 92 Black Polyester UV 4oz (1,350Yds) - #100071
- Tape Measure 120 Inch - #102986
- Scribe All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil - #120681
- Twine 5 ply Waxed Bobbin (81Ft) - #29206
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler - #107040
- Scratch Awl Yellow - #2354
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - #101017
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide - #103597
- Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 BASIC Walking Foot Sewing Machine - #300601
- Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor - #120931
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - #102400
- Straight Edge, Tape Measure, Tape, Marker