How to Make a Duffle Bag
Duffle bags are incredibly useful. They work as a gym bag, as an overnight bag for a short getaway, and they’re great for carrying all your clothing and toiletries for a weekend cruise. Not only is a duffle bag a practical go-to bag everyone should own, but it also makes for an excellent beginner sewing project. We’ve made it even easier with our Duffle Bag Kits that include all the supplies you need to sew your own DIY duffle bag.
Our Duffle Bag Kit is the perfect project for practicing your sewing skills. You’ll learn many of the skills required for upholstery and canvaswork, meaning that after sewing this great-looking duffle bag you’ll be ready to tackle a bigger project! By purchasing our Duffle Bag Kit and following along with our step-by-step tutorial video, we’ll teach you how to pattern your fabric, use double-sided tape to aid in sewing, create hems, sew pleats in foam for a reinforced bag bottom, install zippers and much more.
Not only is it an easy and straightforward DIY sewing project, but we’ve included the best supplies and materials in your kit to sew a high-quality bag that’s better than anything you’d find mass-produced. It will be your go-to weekender bag for years to come. Our kit includes Top Notch® 9 fabric in four color options, polypropylene webbing, a YKK® zipper, snap hook swivels and tri-bar webbing sliders, and sturdy black D-rings for extra attachment points. The bag has two convenient pockets — one with a zipper — for easy-to-access storage spots. This duffle bag has two short handles and a longer adjustable strap for hands-free convenience.
Follow along with our how-to video and you can have a brand-new, quality-made duffle bag in an afternoon. Looking for another fun bag kit to make? We also have a tote bag kit made with durable Sunbrella Marine Grade fabric (300357XHT). It’s the perfect companion piece for your new duffle bag!
- Patterning – 1:30 min.
- Creating Zippered Side Pocket – 3:04 min.
- Fashioning End Pocket – 8:45 min.
- Attaching Side Pocket to Main Body – 12:40 min.
- Making Pleated Foam Bottom – 20:04 min.
- Attaching Webbing to Main Body – 25:38 min.
- Installing D-Rings & Handles – 30:30 min.
- Sewing Zippered Top – 33:51 min.
- Attaching Duffle Ends – 37:16 min.
- Creating D-Ring & Swivel Hook Webbing Zipper End Stop – 43:13 min.
- Making Adjustable Webbing Strap – 50:45 min.
- Materials List – 53:56 min.
- Duffle Bag Kit in color of choice
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set (#121669)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine (#300602)
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (#103800)
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler (#107040)
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm (#9655)
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide (#103597)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor (110V) (#120931)
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" (#101017)
- Tape Measure, Straight Edge