How to Replace Boat Carpet With Woven Flooring
The floor covering on your boat sees a fair amount of water and traffic. Traditional boat carpeting can hold water and start to smell over time. We’re going to show you how to switch out that old carpeting for a hard-wearing, modern looking woven flooring.
We replaced the carpeting on our Project Powerboat, a Maxum 2900 SCR, with a woven flooring from Chilewich®. Chilewich Floor Covering is an innovative blend of vinyl and fiberglass woven into beautiful designs and then secured to a 100% thermoplastic polyolefin backing. The material cuts without fraying and is easy to work with and install. Plus it’s stain, mold and mildew resistant as well as antistatic and moistureproof. Clean it off with just a spray of the hose! Chilewich is a little more expensive than competing woven flooring options, but we really like it because it is a nicer weave and more dimensionally stable.
In our video, we’ll show you how to pattern and cut Chilewich for boat flooring. We also will demonstrate two different ways to finish the edges. For our boat project we opted to sew Sunbrella® Acrylic Binding to the edges of the Chilewich but you can also fold the edges under to create a hem, or leave the edges raw (the material won’t fray). It’s all up to which look you prefer.
- Patterning – 0:39 min.
- Creating Cutout for Table Leg – 8:05 min.
- Sewing Binding & Finishing Cutout – 10:53 min.
- Installing Snaps – 16:06 min.
- Hemming Edge & Sewing – 18:06 min.
- Materials List – 24:18 min.
- 3M™ Filament Strapping Tape #5643
- 3/8" Seamstick Basting Tape for Canvas #129
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material #122463
- 72” Chilewich® Floor Covering Fabric (we used the Basketweave Oyster #106735)
- 1" Sunbrella® Acrylic Bias Binding (we used Cocoa #103018)
- V-92 Polyester Thread
- SnapRite® Buttons (#104154) & Sockets (#333050)
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler #107040
- 1" Swing-Away Binder #100103
- Quick Fit Kit #102009
- SnapRite® System Complete Kit #104500
- Scratch Awl Yellow #2354
- Soapstone Fabric Marking Pencil White #102766
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (110 Volt) #103800
- Cutting Mat 18" x 24" #102990
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm #9655
- Magnetic Sewing Guide #102983
- Scissors, Marker, Tape measure