How to Make a Bucket Tool Organizer
A bucket caddy, also known as a bucket tool organizer or bucket tool bag, is a clever sleeve of durable fabric with pockets for holding all of your tools, and it fits around a 5-gallon bucket. These buckets are most often used on construction sites, carpentry jobs and anywhere you need to easily haul a wide assortment of tools. Our bucket tool organizer has numerous pockets for holding hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, tape measures and much more. Join us as we show you how easy it is to make your own bucket tool caddy.
What's great about this project is that you can add as many or as few pockets as you want — customize it for your specific needs. You can do lots of small pockets or a few large pockets — or a mix of both! This project uses just a handful of tools and materials, which makes it a great beginner project too. Don't be intimidated by the complex look of the tool bag, our comprehensive video will walk you through every step of the construction and sewing process; we never skip over anything.
We chose DuraWax™ Light Waxed Canvas for our tool organizer. Waxed canvas is a great choice for a project like this. It's strong, durable and comes in a variety of attractive, classic colors. Waxed canvas is highly water resistant, making it great for job sites and outdoor work environments. One of the best features of waxed canvas is its unique, worn-in look. Due to the wax coating, the fabric will patina as you work with it. When the fabric is folded, scratched and handled, it shows wear marks that add a highly desirable, rugged and weathered look to the fabric. Waxed canvas is perfect for projects such as tool organizers, tool rolls, utility bags, messenger bags and duffles, work aprons and more.
Watch the video below to learn how to make your own bucket caddy tool organizer.
Did you enjoy this DIY project? What other projects would you like to see us make with waxed canvas? Let us know in the comments section below!
- Cutting Main Body 0:45 min.
- Adding Binding & Inside Pockets 4:19 min.
- Adding Pockets to First Side 7:30 min.
- Adding Pockets to Second Side 22:51 min.
- Adding Webbing Loops 32:23 min.
- Materials & Tools List 40:46 min.
- DuraWax™ Light Waxed Canvas Cotton Duck 12 oz. Saddle 57" #122415
- Top Notch® 9 Polyester Bias Binding Tape Black 1" #120940
- V-92 Black UV Bonded Polyester Thread #100071
- Webbing Nylon 1-1/2" #100258
- Webbing Nylon 1" #17300
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm #9655
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" #120257
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed #19104
- Scribe-All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil #120681
- Sailrite® Leatherwork® Sewing Machine Package (110V) #300800
- Sailrite® 1" Swing-Away Binder #100103
- 3-in-1 Mark and Trace #122802
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package #122177
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife #121915