How to Make a DIY Tool Roll
Creating your own DIY tool roll is a great way to ensure that you have a well-made, custom storage option for any tool set. One of the best fabrics to make a tool roll is our DuraWax™ Waxed Canvas. In this blog we will walk you through how to make a DIY waxed canvas tool roll from start to finish. Let's get started!
Our waxed canvas tool roll includes a strap to keep it closed and a folding flap to keep all the tools in their individual pouches. Oftentimes if you don't make your own tool roll and instead purchase a prefabricated one, some of the tools will sink into the roll and not fit properly. This can make it harder for you to access your tools and it may even effect how well your roll functions. With our helpful video, we will show you just how easy it is to make your own roll for any tool set.
For our tool roll, we decided to use our DuraWax Waxed Canvas Cotton Duck fabric. This gorgeous, rugged fabric makes for craftsman-inspired bags, jackets, utility projects, duffle bags, purses and much more. Each fabric begins with a dyed cotton canvas that is then impregnated with wax for water repellency. This highly durable fabric has the ability to create a patina effect when it's scratched, scuffed or folded for a unique look. Our DuraWax Light Waxed Canvas is coated in a paraffin wax, making it an economical choice, while our DuraWax Heavy Waxed Canvas is coated in a premium beeswax for optimal durability. The wax coating on waxed canvas can also be reapplied again and again for a fabric that lasts for generations!
If you'd like to learn more about what makes waxed canvas so great, we have a number of blogs on the subject. To learn the basics, we recommend checking out our blogs, "What Is Waxed Canvas?" (#300501XHT) or "Why Choose Waxed Canvas — History & Benefits" (#300502XHT). And for more in-depth information on caring for our DuraWax products, we recommend the blogs "How to Take Care of Waxed Canvas Fabric" (#300503XHT) and "Sewing Waxed Canvas: Tips & Tricks" (#300504XHT).
What other projects would you like to see us make with waxed canvas? Let us know in the comments below!
- Patterning Waxed Canvas From Tools – 0:55 min.
- Adding Hem & Fold Allowance & Cutting – 4:24 min.
- Creating Hems – 8:48 min.
- Sewing Pocket Plate to Back Plate – 14:29 min.
- Sewing Pockets – 17:55 min.
- Hemming Fold Over Edge – 22:45 min.
- Installing Grommets – 24:13 min.
- Adding a Tie Strap – 26:21 min.
- Materials & Tools List – 29:56 min.
- DuraWax™ Light Waxed Canvas Cotton Duck 12 oz. 57" Fabric - #122413
- Thread V-92 Polyester UV 4 oz. - we used True Brown - #106391
- #2 Spur Grommet 3/8" - (Brass) Item # 26309 or (Nickel) - #26316
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - #102400
- Scratch Awl Yellow - #2354
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed - #19104
- Sailrite® Deluxe Fabricator® Sewing Machine Package (110V) - #400600
- Wonder Clips - Assorted Colors (Set of 50) - #121902
- Sailrite® Drill Hole Cutter Set - #121825
- #2 Spur Grommet Die Set 3/8" - #18203
- Sailrite® Battery Operated Thread Burner - #122432