DIY Roll-Up Enclosure Panels for a Screen Porch
A screen porch is a wonderful room to have in your house. You can enjoy fresh air and sunlight without being bothered by pesky insects. Don't you wish you could comfortably use this relaxing space during rainstorms and into the chillier seasons? With this DIY project, you can! This blog will teach you how to make roll-up enclosure panels that you can permanently install on the outside of your screen porch.
DIY enclosure panels are an easy way to extend the timeframe when you can use your screen porch. These panels have clear vinyl windows, allowing you to enjoy a beautiful view of your outdoor space without gusts of cold air sneaking through the screens. Twist-Lock Fasteners keep these panels secured to the outside of your porch when you want the screens covered. But when you want to let the breeze in, you can use the panels' built-in rope and pulley system to roll them up and away from the screens.
And making your supply shopping list for these winter porch panels couldn't be any easier. The Sailrite® Fabric Calculator has a section especially for calculating dimensions and materials for DIY screen porch panels. This free resource will tell you how much vinyl, rope and other materials you need. All you have to do is plug in the dimensions for your porch windows, and the calculator will do the rest!
Are you ready to use your screen porch in the gorgeous autumn and early winter seasons? We hope so, because this video is ready to teach you how you can make that dream come true! From measuring your screen windows to installing the finished curtains, this video shows all the steps of creating these simple enclosure panels. Start getting more enjoyment out of your screen porch today!
Important Note: Vinyl-coated fabric and clear vinyl window materials will become stiff and less pliable when external temperatures drop to near 40℉. It is recommended that Roll-Up Enclosure Panels be dropped and secured to all fasteners for the entire cold season when temperatures outside reach a consistent 50℉ or below. If this is not done, it may be nearly impossible for the enclosure panels to secure to their fasteners, since the panels may have become less pliable while rolled and will no longer reach fasteners easily until temperatures rise above 50℉ again.
If you don’t want to permanently install patio enclosure panels, never fear! We also have instructions on making fully removable window panels. Check out our blog, "How to Make Snap-On Enclosure Panels for a Screen Porch" (X-HT-300626) to learn how to make window panels with snaps that you can easily put up and take down whenever you want.
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Measuring Screen Window — 1:16 min.
- Using the Sailrite Fabric Calculator — 8:14 min.
- Extension Plates – Do I Need Them? — 14:10 min.
- Measuring & Cutting Window Material — 19:25 min.
- Measuring & Cutting Vinyl Fabric Sections — 22:21 min.
- Basting Hems on Vinyl Fabric Edges — 25:06 min.
- Seaming Top & Bottom Sections to Window — 32:10 min.
- Basting & Sewing Side Facing Strips — 43:22 min.
- Sewing Awning Rope to Top — 49:42 min.
- Creating Sleeve for PVC Pipe Insertion — 52:56 min.
- Installing Twist Lock Eyelets — 57:50 min.
- Preparing Awning Track, Blocks & Lines — 1:02:41 min.
- Making a Twist Lock Hard-to-Reach Pole — 1:11:00 min.
- Installing Awning Track — 1:14:21 min.
- Installing Curtain — 1:18:43 min.
- Tips for Larger Enclosure Curtains — 1:25:19 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 1:34:23 min.
Use the Porch Enclosure Panels section of the Sailrite® Fabric Calculator to determine the full materials list for your panels.
- Scribe-All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl (#121977)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Professional Stainless Steel 10" Scissors (#123615)
- 3M™ Specialty Adhesive Remover 32 oz. (Quart) (#108984)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ Walking Foot Sewing Machine (100-230V) (#300600)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table (#120934)
- Barry King Mallet Hammer Style 3# (#68563)
- Sailrite® Twist-Lock Eyelet Hole Cutter (#108001)
- Prong Bending Tool for Twist-Lock & Lift-The-DOT® Fasteners (#120445)
- Sailrite® Bakelite Mallet 13 oz. (#123309)
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package (#122177)
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler (#107040)
- Rubber Cutting Block 10" x 10" (#378100)
- No. 2 Pencil, T-Square, Tape Measure, Permanent Marker, Hacksaw or Ratcheting PVC Cutter, Calculator, Drills, Drill Bits, Sockets