How to Make Tire Covers for an RV
Whether your RV is your home away from home or your home on wheels, you need to keep it protected from the elements. Tire covers protect your tires from damaging UV rays when your RV or camper is parked and sitting in the sun. Get a perfect fit for your vehicle by making your own tire covers. We'll show you how to sew tire covers for your RV or any vehicle with our easy how-to video.
The new tire covers for our Airstream Argosy trailer are easy to put on.
It's important to keep your tires protected to prevent dry rot and other damage and to extend your tires’ lifespan. We designed our wheel covers with a large opening in the back so they are easy to install and fasten around your tires. The hook-and-loop strap keeps the cover securely on your RV’s tires so it doesn’t blow away in the wind.
When it comes to choosing a cover fabric, there are important factors to consider. You want a fabric with excellent abrasion and UV resistance. And to keep your tire covers looking like new for years, we recommend a solution-dyed fabric with superior fade resistance. Sunbrella® Marine Grade ticks all of these boxes and that's what we chose for our RV tire covers.
If you need help finding the right cover fabric, check out the Sailrite Sample Book for Cover & Top Fabrics (#122118). It contains a sample of each fabric line of our marine and outdoor fabrics that we recommend for auto and RV cover applications, as well as marine and patio cover applications. Choosing the right cover fabric has never been easier.
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to sew your own tire covers for your RV or trailer. You can use these same techniques for a truck, boat trailer or any tire cover you need.
If you want to view more projects in our RV Renovation Series, click here!
- Measuring Wheel — 0:55 min.
- Patterning Fabric — 2:35 min.
- Sewing Hems — 7:22 min.
- Adding Velcro & Binding — 9:47 min.
- Adding Velcro Strap — 14:23 min.
- Assembling Panels — 17:56 min.
- Materials and Tools List — 29:16 min.
- Sunbrella® Marine Grade Black 46" Fabric (#4608-0000)
- Polyester Black Loop 2" (#105031)
- Polyester Black Hook 2" (#105032)
- Sunbrella® Acrylic Bias Binding Tape Black 1" (#12400)
- V‑92 Black UV Bonded Nylon Thread 4 oz. (1,100 yds.) (#106013)
- Tape Measure 120" (#102986)
- Scratch Awl Yellow (#2354)
- Scribe‑All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil (#120681)
- Soapstone Fabric Marking Pencil White (#102766)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife (#121915)
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package (#122177)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ Walking Foot Sewing Machine (#300600)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table (#120934)
- Sailrite® 1" Swing‑Away Binder (#100103)
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed (#19104)