How to Make Your Own Jeep Winch Cover Video
If your vehicle has a winch on it, it’s important to keep the winch covered and protected from the elements. In today’s how-to video, we’re going to show you how to sew a winch cover for your vehicle. Whether you own a Jeep, truck, 4 x 4, SUV or another vehicle with a winch and towing capabilities, you’ll want to follow these DIY instructions. This is an easy project that even a novice sewer will be able to handle.
This video creates a winch cover for a 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser, but the patterning principles are the same for creating a winch cover for any vehicle. In fact, these patterning and sewing techniques can be applied to other contoured covers such as cooking grills, outdoor furniture, binnacle boat covers and much more.
In this video, you’ll learn how to pattern your winch cover using strapping tape to make it easy. Once you cut and sew the cover panels together, next comes installing the webbing straps. We’ve added three straps with buckles so the cover will stay tightly in place and won’t slide around, even during a heavy downpour.
We’re making our winch cover out of Shelter-Rite® fabric. This tough, waterproof, vinyl-coated polyester fabric delivers high performance and flexibility. It’s used for applications like this one in which high tear strength, tensile strength, abrasion and weather resistance are crucial to the success of your project. We stock a wide selection of Shelter-Rite fabric in various colors so you can customize your car winch cover to your exact specifications.
Watch the video below to see how this is all done. Let us know if you have any questions. We’re always happy to help our customers tackle their DIYs. Be sure to share photos of your vehicle winch covers on social media or in the comments section below. We love to see what you’re making!
- Patterning — 0:42 min.
- Cutting Fabric Panels — 9:06 min.
- Sewing Panels — 12:17 min.
- Installing Webbing Straps — 21:24 min.
- Materials List — 27:06 min.
- Shelter-Rite® Black 61” #1120121
- Dura-Skrim Patterning Material #103134
- Filament Strapping Tape #5643
- YKK® Side Release Buckle 1” #104322
- Webbing Polyester 1” Black #103416
- V-92 Black Polyester UV Thread 4oz #100071
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8” #101017
- Grease Marking Pencil Yellow #111002
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife #103800
- Tape Measure 120 Inch #102986
- Sewing Machine