How to Make a Rectangular Patio Umbrella
Patio umbrella canopies will fade, rip or tear with time. They are exposed to sun, wind, rain and more during the summer months or even year-round, depending on where you live. If your umbrella canopy needs to be replaced, this is the DIY video for you! Our step-by-step video tutorial will show you how to measure, cut, assemble and sew a new patio umbrella. It's easier than you think with help from Sailrite®!
It can be expensive or hard to find the right size replacement canopy for your patio umbrella. So, why not make your own? Our video covers the entire DIY process, so even if you're new to sewing, you'll be able to follow along and sew your own replacement umbrella canopy. Not only that, but our Sailrite Fabric Calculator shows you the materials and supplies you need for your specific size umbrella. Our calculator also instructs you on how to cut each one of the fabric gores out as well as the fly in the center, creating a perfectly fitting four-sided umbrella canopy. Whether your umbrella is rectangular or square, our Fabric Calculator takes the guesswork out of patterning and measuring.
When it comes to selecting the right fabric for your umbrella canopy, Sailrite makes it easy! Our Outdoor Living Fabric section narrows down the recommended uses for fabrics into specific categories. You can select "Umbrellas" and choose from the wide selection of durable and high-quality outdoor fabrics that make create patio umbrellas. We chose Top Notch® 1S for our rectangular patio umbrella, but Sunbrella® Canvas is also an excellent choice and comes in a variety of fun and bright colors.
If you're revamping other items on your patio, be sure to check out the "Outdoor Living" section of our How-To page. There, you'll find project videos on how to make a wire-hung canopy (#200712XHT), how to replace the fabric on a retractable awning (#200554XHT), how to sew new patio cushions, grill covers, a fire pit cover and so much more. Sailrite is your go-to resource for all of your sewing DIY projects. Not only are our tutorials top-notch, but we also carry all of the supplies you need to DIY for your home, boat, patio, RV/auto and more. Let Sailrite be your project partner!
- Entering Measurements in Fabric Calculator — 1:12 min.
- Patterning Fabric — 6:33 min.
- Sewing Fly Sections Together — 12:52 min.
- Adding Hem to Fly — 23:31 min.
- Hemming Umbrella Fly Opening Edges — 27:06 min.
- Sewing Umbrella Sections Together — 28:51 min.
- Making Reinforcing Patches — 36:17 min.
- Creating Hollow & Hem — 38:42 min.
- Cutting Fly Opening & Zipper Slit — 50:41 min.
- Creating Fly Attachment Tabs — 1:08:31 min.
- Marking Fly Location on Umbrella — 1:13:16 min.
- Sewing Fly on Umbrella — 1:15:51 min.
- Installing Spur Grommets — 1:20:23 min.
- Making an Umbrella Tie — 1:23:06 min.
- Installing Umbrella — 1:26:15 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 1:30:27 min.
- Top Notch® 1S or Sunbrella® Canvas Upholstery Fabric from Sailrite (We used #121809)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas (50 yds.) #129
- V-69 Polyester Thread from Sailrite
- Sailrite® Woven Sew In Tags (2Pk) #121627
- YKK® Continuous Zipper Chain #5 White (Coil Chain) #104387
- YKK® Zipper Slider #5 White Metal Single Lock Pull (Coil Chain) #104356
- Polyester White Hook 1" #473100
- Polyester White Loop 1" #478100
- #0 Spur Grommet 1/4" (Nickel Plated Brass) #26314
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set #121669
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package #122177
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife #121915
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ 1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine (110V) #300602
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Collapsible Sewing Table #104821
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed #19104
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler #107040
- Scratch Awl Yellow #2354
- Sailrite® Drill Hole Cutter Set #121825
- #0 Spur Grommet Die Set 1/4" #18201
- Barry King Mallet Hammer #68563
- Tape Measure, T-Square, Screwdriver, Ladder, Hammer, PVC Pipe, Drill