How to Make a Round Ottoman
Are you ready for a fun and easy cushion project? In today’s video tutorial, we’re teaching you how to make a round ottoman using just foam and fabric. That’s right — no frame required! This is a great beginner sewing project that will teach you a variety of useful sewing techniques and skills. Ready to get started? Keep scrolling to learn how to make a DIY upholstered ottoman.
For our ottoman, we’re using indoor upholstery fabric from Crypton® Home Fabrics. Crypton fabrics are known for their durability while remaining incredibly soft and luxurious. Designed with proprietary stain- and odor-resistant technology, Crypton fabrics can handle anything you throw at them. Kids, pets, spills — nothing is too messy for Crypton. We like Crypton because it’s a dependable, worry-free fabric that can keep up with an active lifestyle. And with hundreds of fabrics on the Sailrite® website in a range of colors, textures and designs, there’s a Crypton fabric for you!
This ottoman DIY is great because it’s completely customizable to your living space. Just stack your foam layers to achieve the ottoman height you want. In our video, we’re making a shorter, footstool-size ottoman. But we’ll also give you the dimensions to make a taller cushion that can function as a seating option in your home or office. You can make a footstool, a cushion that functions as extra seating, or even an ottoman that doubles as a small coffee table — the choice is yours! The assembly and sewing process is the same, so you can make a round ottoman that perfectly fits your needs.
The finished size of our footstool ottoman is approximately 12 inches tall by 18 inches in diameter. Below the video, you'll find a downloadable PDF with dimensions for making either the shorter or taller size ottoman.
Here are some of the things you’ll learn during this fabric ottoman DIY video:
- How to measure and cut cushion panels.
- How to sew a rectangular boxing to a circle panel.
- How to add a topstitch.
- How to sew a zipper plaque.
- And more!
Ready to make your own ottoman? Watch the video below to watch the full step-by-step tutorial. Below the video, you'll find a complete materials and tools list. Everything needed to make this ottoman can be found right here at Sailrite.
- Crypton® Home Wayfarer Paprika 54" Fabric #122101 — 2 yds.
- CushionRite® Standard Antimicrobial Foam (Firm) #124229
- CushionRite® Standard Antimicrobial Foam (Soft) #124216
- Cushion Underlining White 54" Fabric #768100
- #5 White Continuous Coil Zipper Chain — 5 ft.
- #5 White Single Non-Locking Metal Zipper Pull (Coil Chain)
- 3M™ Foam Fast 74 CA Spray Adhesive #123600
- Cushion Wrap Silk Film 54" #103933
- Polyester Batting 55" #124305
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36 yds.) #122065
- Fabric clips or sewing pins
- Sailrite® Blade Foam Saw #121244
- Sailrite® Foam Shaper #123583
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler #107040
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS Walking Foot Sewing Machine (100-230V) #311502
- Deluxe 5-1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Cutting tool of choice
- Marking tool
- Seam ripper
- Speed Reduction Upgrade With Manual Operation for Ultrafeed® LS & LSZ #123372 (optional)
- Upholstery & Home Décor Package for Ultrafeed® LS #123362 (optional)
This is the first video in our Crypton Cushion Collab series! It's a four-part video series where we teach you how to make high-quality indoor cushions featuring gorgeous Crypton fabrics. Be sure to keep a lookout for future videos in this fun series. We'll teach you how to make a floor cushion, beanbag chair and more!