How to Make a Shower Curtain for an RV
Shower curtains are one of the easiest home furnishings to make. Just cut the fabric, sew hems and install grommets — and you're done. But what about a shower curtain that isn't a perfect rectangle, like the curtains that come in some RVs? Yep, you can DIY that curtain too. We're going to show you how!
Shower curtains are exposed to a lot of humidity and moisture, so it's important to pick a fabric that can handle that sort of environment without getting damaged. That's why we used Sunbrella® upholstery fabric for our RV curtain. It's resistant to mold and mildew, as well as stains. It's also easy to clean and can even be used outdoors! If you want a shower curtain that will look vibrant and new for years to come, choose from Sunbrella upholstery's huge selection of colors and patterns for your project.
An RV shower curtain isn't going to be the same as one you could put in your home. It'll probably be much smaller to fit a compact camper shower. It might have snaps that attach one side of the curtain to the RV wall. It might even have cutouts or curved edges. That may sound complicated, but never fear. The shower curtain we made for our 1987 Airstream Argosy RV had all those traits, and it turned out great. If we can do it, so can you!
Our RV has snaps on the wall and cabinet to hold the shower curtain in place.
In our how-to video, we'll show you everything you need to know about making a shower curtain for an RV or camper. You'll learn how to pattern and sew a curtain with curves and cutouts. Then we'll show you how to add snaps and grommets before hanging the completed curtain in the shower. There are tons of helpful hints to walk you through making an irregular shower curtain — all you have to do is watch the video to get started.
If you want to view more projects in our RV Renovation Series, click here!
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Patterning Shower — 1:09 min.
- Adding Hem Allowances & Cutting Fabric — 8:56 min.
- Marking Hems & Folding First Hem — 13:12 min.
- Creating Mitered Corners — 15:48 min.
- Folding Second Hem — 18:40 min.
- Creating Patch for Inside Corner — 20:17 min.
- Sewing Curtain — 24:18 min.
- Installing Grommets — 27:42 min.
- Positioning Snaps & Installing Shower Curtain — 31:05 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 34:20 min.
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36 yds.) (#122065)
- Filament Strapping Tape 3/4" (#5643)
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material 74" (#103134)
- #3 Snap Together Grommet 7/16" (White Plastic) (#100202)
- Sunbrella® Infused Gem 54" Upholstery Fabric (#145853-0001)
- V-69 Thread from Sailrite
- DOT® Snap Fastener Cloth-to-Surface Set 3/8" Screw (Nickel-Plated Brass/Stainless Steel) (#333002)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Professional Stainless Steel 10" Scissors (#123615)
- Chalk Pen White (#123131)
- Wipe Off Fabric Marker Blue (#123135)
- Wonder Clips Assorted Colors (10 pack) (#121876)
- Sailrite® Deluxe Fabricator® Sewing Machine Package (110V) (#400600)
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package (#122177)
- Sailrite® Drill Hole Cutter Set (#121825)
- Sailrite® Bakelite Mallet 13 oz. (#123309)
- Easy Fit Pin Socket - Snap Positioning System (#102009)
- Pres-N-Snap Installation Tool (#109011) or Snap Fastener Installation Tool (#25204)
- Sailrite® Drill Hole Cutter 1/8" (#121817)
- Marker, Shipping Tape, Plastic Liner, Drill