How to Install Woven Vinyl Boat Flooring
One of the final projects in our Speedboat Makeover Series is installing new flooring in our boat. The old carpet has seen better days, so we're replacing it with Chilewich woven vinyl flooring. This beautiful high-end woven flooring is a major upgrade and will elevate the look and enjoyment of our speedboat. Whether you're redoing your entire boat or just need to replace the flooring, this is a how-to tutorial you don't want to miss.
The first step of this easy, no-sew DIY is to rip up the old flooring. If you can remove the current flooring in your boat carefully without damaging it, you can use it to pattern your new woven vinyl flooring. If your old flooring is too damaged, you can use Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material to pattern the new flooring. We show you how to pattern using both methods in the video. We'll also show you how to re-cover the deck access hatch cover.
At Sailrite®, we offer two high-end marine woven vinyl flooring options: Chilewich and Infinity. Both are easy to clean and mold/mildew resistant. Both floorings have a cushioned backing material which makes them extremely comfortable to walk on. For more information on these flooring brands, read our blog "Comparing Infinity & Chilewich Vinyl Flooring" (#300214XHT) for help in choosing between these top-quality boat flooring options. No matter which flooring you choose, you'll be amazed at how high-quality woven flooring will upgrade and improve the look of your boat.
You only need a few supplies to install your own woven boat flooring. Watch the video below to get started on this boat flooring project.
Want to see more marine DIY projects? You're in the right place! Sailrite is your go-to source for free how-to content. We'll teach you how to sew for your boat, home, patio, automobile and more. And be sure to check out the rest of the videos in our Speedboat Makeover Series. You won't want to miss a single video in this exciting speedboat transformation.
We also have all the fabric, foam, hardware and notions you need. We're your one-stop DIY shop. Happy sewing!
- Intro - 0:00 min.
- Removing Old Carpet - 0:52 min.
- Using Old Carpet as Pattern - 1:48 min.
- Test Fitting Vinyl Woven Flooring - 3:15 min.
- Pattern for Flooring - 4:46 min.
- Applying Glue & Installing Flooring - 8:07 min.
- Coving a Deck Hatch Cover with Vinyl Woven Flooring - 15:15 min.
- Materials & Tools List - 25:27 min.
- Infinity Luxury Woven Vinyl™ Flooring or Chilewich Floor Covering Fabric (we used #122130)
- Super 88 Spray Adhesive #123287 or 3M™ Super 77™ Spray Adhesive #636100
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material 74" #103134
- AAT 390 Marine & Exterior Adhesive (Gallon) #121096
- 3M™ Specialty Adhesive Remover 32 oz. (Quart) #108984
- Headliner Adhesive 13 oz. #123288 or 3M™ General Trim Spray Adhesive #73211
- Grease Marking Pencil Yellow #111002
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" #101017
- Sailrite® Poly Cutting Board 12" x 12" #123964
- Drill, Putty Knife, Box Cutter, 1/8” Notch Trowel, Marker, Rags, Disposable Gloves, Notching Tool