How to Make Snap-In Woven Vinyl Boat Flooring
Add softness underfoot on your boat’s deck or cabin by installing a stylish, luxury woven vinyl flooring. Vinyl flooring is a great alternative to traditional boat carpet because it is stain resistant, quick drying, antimicrobial and easy to clean. We recently installed Infinity Luxury Woven Vinyl™ Flooring on the bridge deck of our Powerboat Makeover project, a 1982 Regal 245 XL Ambassador. Watch our step-by-step video to see how to pattern and install your own snap-in woven vinyl flooring.
The goal for this project was to make removable flooring that would still have a streamlined, wall-to-wall look. To do this, we created our flooring in two large pieces that are glued together using HH-66 Vinyl Cement. Then the flooring will be secured by snaps around the perimeter of the deck. We chose not to add binding around the edges of the flooring for this application, since the mat runs in a largely continuous piece right up to the sides of the boat. If your flooring pieces were more segmented, you’d then likely want to add binding. You can see that process in our video “How to Replace Boat Carpet with Woven Flooring” (200674XHT).
A key to making this project successful is to pattern very carefully. In the video, we spend a lot of time carefully laying out the patterning material and keeping detailed notes on it. We also test fit both the cut-to-size patterning material and the Infinity flooring itself before installing the snaps to ensure we have the best fit possible. Also included in the video is a discussion on how to make the most of your fabric, which is 8 feet, 6 inches wide and sold by the running yard, so you can have the least amount of waste.
- Patterning Floor – 00:41 min.
- Considering Splits & Nesting – 9:57 min.
- Cutting Flooring to Size – 15:32 min.
- Gluing Sections Together – 21:39 min.
- Cutting Holes Around Obstacles – 27:48 min.
- Installing Snaps – 30:26 min.
- Materials List – 33:05 min.
- Filament Strapping Tape 3/4" #5643
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas #129
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material #122460
- Infinity Luxury Woven Vinyl™ Flooring 8'6" (we used Beige #120226)
- HH-66 Vinyl Cement #1129 (8 oz. can)
- Shelter-Rite® 61" Fabric (we used Beige #112014)
- Spur Grommet Brass #5 (5/8") #26312
- Trimmable Butyl Tape 3/4" #103689
- DOT® Snap Fastener Cloth-to-Surface Set (SS) #444002
- Gingher® Scissors #19104 (Right-handed)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" #120257
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm #9655
- Scratch Awl Yellow #2354
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler #107040
- #5 Hole Cutter 5/8" #18216
- Premium Cutting Block 10" x 10" #103642
- #5 Die Set Spur (5/8") #85171
- Barry King Mallet Hammer Style 3# #68563
- Pres-N-Snap Installation Tool #109011
- Straight edge
- Drill & drill bits
- Phillips-head screwdriver