How to Make Snap-On Clear Vinyl Window Covers
A clear vinyl windshield, if it’s good quality, should last for years. And if you take the time to properly cover it when not in use, you can potentially double its expected life. With tools and supplies from Sailrite®, along with this comprehensive tutorial, you can create your very own snap-on clear vinyl window cover! Follow along as we show you how.
A snap-on cover is a great addition for your boat if you want to keep the clear vinyl in tip-top shape for years to come. The outside of our snap-on cover is made from Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric, as this 100% solution-dyed acrylic is resistant to mold, mildew, stains, fading and abrasion. However, the side of the snap-on cover that comes into contact with the clear vinyl is made of Evolution® Block-It fabric. Evolution Block-It is strong, flexible, breathable and soft enough to come into contact with your vinyl without scratching it. Originally designed for automobile covers, this high-quality fabric is designed to stand the test of time and comes with a four-year limited warranty.
Our step-by-step video will cover patterning your dodger, cutting the necessary fabric, sewing the Sunbrella and Evolution fabric, and installing the snaps in both the dodger and the cover. To help you install the snaps, we’ve also chosen to use the Sailrite® SnapRite® System Complete Kit, a unique snap fastener system created by Sailrite owner Matt Grant. This handy tool features a set of four dies that work with a standard rivet gun to install button, socket stud and eyelet fastener components with ease and convenience.
Once you’ve finished your snap-on cover, be sure to show us photos in the comments! Have questions or concerns about your project? You can reach out to us via phone, email or the chat function on our website. A member of our highly trained customer support staff would be happy to assist you.
- Patterning from Dodger – 1:11 min
- Patterning & Cutting Fabric – 7:34 min
- Creating Hemmed Edge on Sunbrella® - 10:27 min
- Sewing Evolution® Fabric to Sunbrella® - 17:04 min
- Installing Snaps in Dodger – 21:13 min
- Installing Snaps in Cover – 26:06 min
- Materials List – 29:29 min
- Dura Skrim® Patterning Material 74" - Item #103134
- Evolution® Block-It® Grey 55" Fabric - Item #121040
- Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric from Sailrite® - we used Jockey Red - Item #4603-0000
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas - Item #129
- SnapRite® Fastener Cloth-to-Cloth Set With Buttons - Item #104909
- Thread from Sailrite® V-92 Polyester or Sailrite® PTFE Lifetime Thread
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - Item #102400
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - Item #101017
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set - Item #121669
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package - Item #103800
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler - Item #107040
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide - Item #103597
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ‑1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine - Item #300602
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor - Item #120931
- Battery Operated Thread Burner - Item #121592
- Pres-N-Snap Installation Tool - Item #109011
- Sailrite® SnapRite® System Complete Kit - Item #104500
- Sailrite® Cutting Block & Die Holder - Item #121597
- Easy Fit Kit in Waterproof Box - Snap Positioning System - Item #102565
- Marker, Pencil