How to Make an Enclosure Front Curtain
Continuing with our Full Powerboat Enclosure series, it's time to turn our attention to the front curtain panel. We've already replaced the bimini (#200660XHT) and have fabricated the side curtains of the enclosure (#200661XHT). The front curtain on our boat will attach to the side curtains with zippers and then snap across the front, along the top of the windshield. Let’s take a closer look at how these curtain panels come together.
Our front curtain is actually made up of three panels that are all attached at the top to the bimini by one long zipper. We chose this three panel design because our boat has a door in the center of the windshield, so we wanted the center panel to roll up to allow easy access through the door. The roll up window features webbing straps to keep it in place and Velcro flaps to protect the zippers that run on either side of the roll up panel. We cover how to make all of these accessories in the video.
As we did for the side curtains, we made the front panel out of 30 Gauge O’Sea® Clear Vinyl Window Material trimmed with Sunbrella® Marine Grade Facing with a Shelter-Rite® Vinyl backing.
In this video you will learn how to install a zipper to your bimini top, pattern for your panels on your boat, sew facing and zippers, make Velcro® zipper closure flaps, and install snaps along the bottom of the curtain.
- Installing Zipper to Bimini Top – 0:39 min.
- Basting Pattern Material to Zipper – 3:23 min.
- Patterning on Boat – 5:57 min.
- Patterning Clear Window Material – 15:19 min.
- Making Inside Facing Strips – 20:33 min.
- Making Outside Facing Strips – 23:56 min.
- Sewing Binding – 29:05 min.
- Making Velcro Zipper Closure Flaps – 32:00 min.
- Basting Zippers – 38:07 min.
- Sewing Zippers & Closure Flaps – 42:17 min.
- Installing Top Zipper – 48:16 min.
- Installing Snaps – 50:07 min.
- Making Window Roll up Straps – 53:00 min.
- Materials List – 55:26 min.
- YKK #10 VISLON® Finished Zipper with Double Pull (we used the black #104843)
- Seamstick 1/4” Basting Tape for Canvas #104167
- 1” Sunbrella Bias Binding (we used Cocoa #103018)
- V-92 Polyester or Tenara Thread
- Seamstick 3/8” Basting Tape for Canvas #129
- 3M™ Filament Strapping Tape #5643
- O'Sea® Polished 30 Gauge Vinyl 54" x 110" #103734
- Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric (we used 46” Tresco Birch #4696-0000)
- Shelter Rite® Vinyl (we used Black #1120121)
- 1” Black Polyester Velcro (hook #105035 & loop #105036)
- 1” Black Nylon Webbing 900# #17300
- DOT® Snap Fastener Eyelets 1/4" #333555
- DOT® Snap Fastener Standard Studs #333100
- SnapRite® Snap Fastener Silver Buttons 1/4" Barrel #104154
- DOT® Snap Fastener Hard Action Sockets #333058
- Soapstone Fabric Marking Pencil White #102766
- Tape Measure 120 Inch #102986
- Fabric Marking Pencil Yellow #111002
- Heavy-duty sewing machine (like our Ultrafeed® LS-1 PLUS Sewing Machine #300502)
- 1" Swing-Away Straight Binder #100103
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package #103800
- SnapRite® Surface Mount Stud Die #103754
- Quick Fit Pin Socket - Snap Positioning System #102009
- SnapRite® System #104237 or Pres-N-Snap Installation Tool #109011
- Sharpie marker
- Straight edge