DIY Box Cushion for a Dinette Backrest
When you travel with an RV or camper, you probably spend a lot of time sharing meals and playing board games with loved ones at the dinette. So, the dinette seating needs to be comfortable and able to withstand frequent use. Get your RV or camper's dinette vacation-ready by making custom upholstered backrest cushions for the bench seats.
We recommend a classic box cushion for the backrest padding. Box cushions are easy to make, and the crisp edges and corners on the finished cushions will make your whole dining area shine. We'll walk you through how to make a box cushion in our project video below.
In the video, you'll learn how to measure and cut your fabric and foam to size, how to create a zipper plaque, how to sew a box cushion cover, and how to install the finished cushion in the banquette seat. The Sailrite® Fabric Calculator will help you determine how much fabric you need for cushions of all shapes and sizes. And although we're putting our box cushions in an RV, you can put your cushions anywhere you need a comfy backrest.
It's a good idea to fasten the cushions to the backer boards so that they don't fall over when the RV is moving.
We're also excited to share tips for creating a polished cushion. You'll learn how to hide zipper sliders and how to prevent wrinkles when sewing square corners — among many other useful pointers. So, what are you waiting for? Start preparing for your next road trip now with this cushion backrest DIY project. Your RV will thank you.
Now that you've upholstered a bench seat backrest, why not try the seat cushion too? We have a video that will teach you how to make a matching cushion for your bench seat and jazz it up with decorative diamond stitching. Just search for our blog "Diamond Stitching: How to Sew a Diamond Quilted Cushion" (#300602XHT) to get started!
If you want to view more projects in our RV Renovation Series, click here!
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Measuring for Cushion — 1:13 min.
- Cutting Foam to Size — 5:41 min.
- Cutting Bottom & Top Plates — 9:07 min.
- Measuring & Cutting Boxing — 11:34 min.
- Creating Zipper Plaque Boxing — 15:29 min.
- Making Straps for Snaps — 20:44 min.
- Sewing Boxing to Top Plate — 24:55 min.
- Creating Match-Up Marks — 37:33 min.
- Sewing Bottom Plate to Assembly — 40:07 min.
- Inserting Foam — 45:13 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 50:40 min.
- High Density Polyurethane Foam (Medium) 5" x 24" x 80" (#285M2480)
- Cushion Underlining Black 54" Fabric (#772100)
- EverSoft™ Indoor/Outdoor Navy 54" Vinyl Fabric (#122214)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36 yds.) (#122065)
- YKK® Continuous Zipper Chain #5 Black (Coil Chain) (#104444)
- YKK® Zipper Slider #5 Black Metal Single Non-Locking Pull Tab (Coil Chain) (#122251)
- DOT® Snap Fastener Button 11/64" (Nickel-Plated Brass) (#333777)
- DOT® Snap Fastener Normal Action Socket (Nickel-Plated Brass) (#333050)
- Cushion Wrap Silk Film 54" (10 yds.) (#103933)
- DOT® Snap Fastener Screw Stud 3/8" (#333105)
- Sailrite® Blade Foam Saw V2 with Carrying Case (110V) (#121244)
- Sailrite® Foam Shaper (#123583)
- Scribe-All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil (#120681)
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed (#19104)
- Deluxe Tape Measure 120" (#123120)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Easy Grip Ruler Handle (#123101)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 PREMIUM Sewing Machine With WorkerB® Power Pack (110V) (#311603)
- Deluxe 5-1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide (#103597)
- Basic Thread Snips (#123222)
- Hole Cutter 1/8" (#121386)
- Sailrite® Cutting Block & Die Holder (#121597)
- Snap Fastener Installation Tool (#25204)
- Sewing Gauge Ruler 6" (#102995)
- Straightedge, Marker, Pencil, Mallet, Shop Vac