How to Make a Square Ottoman
Adding a touch of style to your home or office is as easy as making a square ottoman! Ottomans have multiple uses, making them one of the most versatile furniture items you can add to your space. They're also super easy to make. The DIY square ottoman pattern we'll show you today is the perfect beginner upholstery project, since it only takes a few hours to make. Let's get started!
For our ottoman, we’re using indoor upholstery fabric from Crypton® Home Fabrics. Crypton fabrics are known for their durability while remaining incredibly soft and luxurious. Designed with proprietary stain- and odor-resistant technology, Crypton fabrics can handle anything you throw at them. Kids, pets, spills — nothing is too messy for Crypton. We like Crypton because it’s a dependable, worry-free fabric that can keep up with an active lifestyle. And with hundreds of fabrics on the Sailrite® website in a range of colors, textures and designs, there’s a Crypton fabric for you!
This ottoman is the ultimate customizable project. We've included a PDF document below with measurements for both a 12-inch tall and an 18-inch tall version, but you can stack as much or as little foam as you want to make yours the perfect size for your needs. Use it as a chair, a footstool, a side table and more. With so many uses, a square upholstered ottoman is ideal for your living room, home office, three seasons room, child's room, dorm room and any other indoor space that needs a cozy accent!
This simple upholstery project is fun for beginners and experts alike. When you follow along with our step-by-step video, you'll learn how to sew boxing to top and bottom plates, how to make your own piping, how to sew a hidden zipper and other useful sewing tricks. Ready to dive in? Watch our tutorial video now to make your own square ottoman with Crypton upholstery fabric.
- Crypton® Home Himalaya Denim 54" Fabric (#123654) — 2 yds.
- CushionRite® Standard Antimicrobial Foam (Firm) (#124229)
- CushionRite® Standard Antimicrobial Foam (Soft) (#124216)
- 3M™ Foam Fast 74 CA Spray Adhesive Low VOC 19 oz. (#123600)
- Cushion Underlining White 54" Fabric (#768100) — 1 yd.
- Polyester Batting 55" (#124305)
- Lenzip® #5 White Continuous Coil Zipper Chain (#124597) — 4 ft.
- Lenzip® #5 White Style C Single Non-Locking Metal Zipper Pull (Coil Chain) (#124603)
- Cushion Wrap Silk Film 54" (#103933)
- Foam Piping/Welting Cord 5/32" — 6 ft.
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36 yds.) (#122065)
- Upholstery & Home Décor Package for Ultrafeed® LS (#123362) (Optional)
- Groz-Beckert® #18 Sewing Machine Needles 135x17 Round/Sharp Point (10 pack) (#123824)
- Tex 90 White UV Bonded Polyester Thread 4 oz. (1,350 yds.)
- Small Fabric/Leather Clips (50 pack) (#123121)
- Sailrite® Blade Foam Saw V2 with Carrying Case (110V) (#121244)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Sailrite® Foam Shaper (#123583)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS Walking Foot Sewing Machine (110V) (#311502)
- Speed Reduction Upgrade With Manual Operation for Ultrafeed® LS & LSZ (#123372) (Optional)
- Thread snips of choice
- Seam ripper of choice
- Cutting tool of choice
- Marking tool of choice
This is the second video in our Crypton Cushion Collab series. It's a four-part video series where we teach you how to make high-quality indoor cushions featuring gorgeous Crypton fabrics. Be on the lookout for the next two videos in this series to learn how to make a floor cushion and a beanbag chair! And if you missed the first installment, "How to Make a Round Ottoman," just search #300672XHT on Sailrite.com to try that DIY.