DIY UTV Cab Enclosure Rear Panel
Even though it's behind you as you drive, the back of a utility task vehicle (UTV) can still let in dirt and grime if it's not covered. That's why it's helpful to have a full cab enclosure that lets you see your surroundings clearly while protecting you from weather and debris. Making a rear window panel for your UTV is an easy way to get as much protection from the elements as possible.
The rear window panel offers good protection and great visibility.
Enjoy added protection from debris and the elements while still maintaining a clear line of sight behind you by adding a rear window panel to your UTV. We can help you make one! We partnered with Kenny Sims of Sims Upholstery to show you how to make side and rear panels for UTV cabs. This video will show how to make the rear panel.
In this video, Kenny demonstrates how to make a rear window panel for a Yamaha® YXZ utility task vehicle, but you can use the same steps to make a panel to fit whatever vehicle you have. You'll see all the steps from start to finish. You'll also learn helpful tips for removing wrinkles from facing, matching up binding ends and much more.
Like the side windows, the rear window panel also attaches to the UTV with snaps.
Ready to learn this easy outdoor DIY? We have all the materials for this project — including Regalite® window material and Stamoid™ vinyl fabric — here at Sailrite®. Just hit the play button on the video below to learn what you need and how to put it all together. You got this!
Do you still need to make the side panels for your UTV enclosure? Never fear! We have a video that will show you exactly how. Just search for our blog, "DIY UTV Cab Enclosure Side Panels" (#300610XHT), to complete your custom cab enclosure. Happy sewing!
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Patterning for Window Material — 0:18 min.
- Cutting Window Panel — 3:31 min.
- Cutting & Basting Facing Strips — 7:02 min.
- Sewing Facing & Binding — 10:13 min.
- Marking & Installing Hook & Loop — 13:28 min.
- Installing Webbing & Snaps — 17:07 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 25:53 min.
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material 74" (#103134)
- Regalite® 30 Gauge Vinyl Window Material 29" x 68" Clear (#103730)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (50 yds.) (#104167)
- Stamoid™ Top 12.64 oz. Black 59" Vinyl Fabric (#103079)
- V-92 Black UV Bonded Polyester Thread 4 oz. (1,350 yds.) (#100071)
- Stamoid™ Bias Binding Tape Vinyl Black 1" (#106704)
- Polyester Black Hook 1" (#105035)
- Polyester Black Loop 1" (#105036)
- DOT® Snap Fastener Cloth-to-Surface Set 3/8" Screw (Stainless Steel) (#444002)
- Blind Rivet for SnapRite® Surface Die (Stainless Steel) (#103755)
- 1" Black Polyester Webbing (#100PLLWBK-FT)
- DOT® Snap Fastener Cloth-to-Cloth Stud (Stainless Steel) (#444100)
- Grease Marking Pencil Yellow (#111002)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed (#19104)
- Scribe-All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil (#120681)
- Sailrite® Double-Sided Cutting Mat 36" x 24" Extra Large (#123113)
- Soft Grip Rotary Cutter 45mm (#123114)
- Sailrite® Deluxe Fabricator® Sewing Machine Package (110V) (#400600)
- Sailrite® 1" Swing-Away Binder (#100103)
- Easy Fit Pin Socket - Snap Positioning System (#102009)
- Easy Fit Release Tool (#102011)
- Sailrite® Tempered Cutting Glass (#121915)
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package (#122177)
- SnapRite® Surface Mount Stud Die -(#103754)
- Professional Rivet Tool (#103520)
- Drill, Marker, 1/8" Drill Bit, Masking Tape