DIY UTV Cab Enclosure Side Panels
Are you constantly cleaning mud, debris or snow off of your clothes after you use your utility task vehicle (UTV)? Then your UTV needs a cab enclosure to protect you from the elements while you work. We can help you there! We partnered with Kenny Sims of Sims Upholstery to show you how to make side and rear panels for UTV cabs. This video will cover the side panels.
Open or closed? Installing a zipper in your window panel gives you options for use.
A UTV is a great resource to have for outdoor jobs. But one that's open at the sides and back leaves you exposed to windborne dirt, sand and other irritants that could get in your eyes or on your clothes — making your job harder and the cleanup more extensive. A set of side window panels offers protection from these irritants and ensures full visibility when you're driving your UTV.
In this video, Kenny demonstrates how to make side window panels on a Yamaha® YXZ, but you can use the same steps to make a homemade UTV cab enclosure on whatever vehicle you have. You'll also learn how to pattern around obstacles, how to make a zipper stop, how to sew binding to an inside curve and much more.
Installing snaps into the UTV makes it quick and easy to secure the window panels.
This project might seem daunting, but you don't have to worry — you'll have an expert guide every step of the way. This in-depth video has all the information and pointers you need to make your own custom UTV enclosure in as little as a weekend. And we have all the materials you'll need right here at Sailrite®. Watch the video below to get started!
Now that you've made your side panels, why not complete the full enclosure setup with a rear window panel? We can help with that too. Just search for our blog, "DIY UTV Cab Enclosure Rear Panel" (#300611XHT), to make a rear panel for your UTV.
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Patterning for Window Panel — 0:25 min.
- Cutting Facings — 10:11 min.
- Basting Facings & Zippers to Window — 17:56 min.
- Sewing Facing — 25:20 min.
- Sewing Binding — 28:06 min.
- Sewing Hook & Loop — 32:06 min.
- Installing Snaps — 35:10 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 39:55 min.
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas (36 yds.) (#122064)
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material 74" (#103134)
- Regalite® 30 Gauge Vinyl Window Material 29" x 68" Clear (#103730)
- Stamoid™ Top 12.64 oz. Black 59" Vinyl Fabric (#103079)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36 yds.) (#122065)
- YKK® Continuous Zipper Chain #10 Black (Coil Chain) (#102215)
- YKK® Zipper Slider #10 Black Metal Single Non-Lock Pull (Coil) (#102216)
- Stamoid™ Bias Binding Tape Vinyl Black 1" (#106704)
- Polyester Black Hook 1" (#105035)
- Polyester Black Loop 1" (#105036)
- DOT® Snap Fastener Cloth-to-Surface Set 3/8" Screw (Stainless Steel) (#444002)
- V-92 Black UV Bonded Polyester Thread 4 oz. (1,350 yds.) (#100071)
- Scribe-All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil (#120681)
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed (#19104)
- Professional Stainless Steel 10" Scissors (#123615)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Sailrite® Deluxe Fabricator® Sewing Machine Package (110V) (#400600)
- Sailrite® 1" Swing-Away Binder (#100103)
- Easy Fit Pin Socket - Snap Positioning System (#102009)
- Easy Fit Release Tool (#102011)
- Pres-N-Snap Installation Tool (#109011)
- Masking Tape, Marker, Drill