How to Make a Golf Cart Windshield
Adding a custom clear vinyl windshield to your golf cart is a simple way to add a professional touch while keeping you protected from inclement weather. As part of our Golf Cart Remodel series, we’re adding the final touches to our newly reupholstered golf cart with a clear vinyl windshield. This snap-on windshield provides protection from the elements when you want it, but can also be rolled up and kept out of the way on sunny days. In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to make a windshield for a golf cart using clear vinyl window material from Sailrite®. You can also make your own rain curtains for the sides of your golf cart using the same principles as shown in this video.
To begin, we’ll need to take a width and height measurement of the area where the windshield will be installed. It’s recommended that you measure in a few locations to be sure it does not have an irregular shape. If it does, you may need to do some patterning to achieve the correct shape. This will also determine the amount of clear vinyl you will need. We offer several brands of high-quality clear vinyl, but for this project, we’ve chosen Regalite® Vinyl Window Material (#103762), a 30-gauge press-polished window material with great optical clarity and durability ideal for marine and automotive applications. Keep in mind that our best clear vinyl window materials are sold by the sheet, not by the yard. Here we used one sheet of Regalite 30, but it is sold in two different sheet sizes (we used the 54-inch x 110-inch size and had a lot left over). So it’s up to you to select the right sheet size or select a different brand of vinyl based on your project needs.
We’re also utilizing marine snaps to attach this curtain to our golf cart as the windshield is designed to fold down or be rolled up and snapped in place. This tutorial will illustrate how to install gypsy snaps, one-way snaps and standard snaps, so you’ll have a few options to choose from. Installing snaps for our windshield was made quick and easy by using the Sailrite® SnapRite® System Complete Kit (#104500) in conjunction with the Sailrite Cutting Block and Die Holder (#121597). The Sailrite SnapRite System Complete Kit is a unique snap fastener system created by Matt Grant (Sailrite owner). It features a set of four dies that work with a standard rivet gun to install button, socket, stud and eyelet snap fastener components with more ease, speed and precision than ever before, and with our handy cutting block, installation is a breeze.
The last step of our project is to add a roll-up webbing strap so you’ll be able to roll up the windshield panel and snap it in place. To accomplish this, you will need to drill a hole in the webbing and on the lip of the roof of your golf cart so that you can install a stud and washer to keep the webbing in place. Once again, the Sailrite SnapRite System comes in handy for securing our webbing strap. This step is optional as you can simply unsnap your windshield completely when not in use, but we chose the roll-up strap for convenient storage. The choice is yours!
By the end of our step-by-step tutorial, you’ll have a professional-looking golf cart windshield made from clear vinyl that will last for years to come. Sailrite has quality tools and materials for your next vehicle project, and the best part is the ability to customize every addition based on your preferences. Show us your golf cart remodel in the comments!
- Measuring for Required Materials - 1:34 min.
- Cutting Facing and Sewing in Place - 4:01 min.
- Sewing Binding on Edges - 7:43 min.
- Marking for Snap Studs - 11:06 min.
- Installing Gypsy Stud Snaps - 15:00 min.
- Installing Pull-The-DOT® (One Way) Snaps - 16:57 min
- Installing Snap Sockets and Buttons - 19:27 min
- Making Roll-Up Curtain Webbing Strap - 22:14 min
- Materials List - 25:04 min
- Clear Vinyl Window Material - we used Regalite 30 - Item #103762
- Top Gun® Onyx Black 62" Fabric - Item #120397
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas - Item #129
- Thread V‑92 Black Polyester UV 4oz - Item #100071
- Top Notch® 9 Polyester Bias Binding Tape Black 1" - Item #120940
- Blind Rivet for SnapRite® Surface Die Stainless Steel - Item #103755
- Pull‑The‑DOT® (One Way) Snap ‑ Cloth‑to‑Cloth Stud - Item #555100
- DOT® Snap Fastener Standard Stud (Nickel Plated) - Item #333100
- DOT® Snap Fastener Normal Action Socket (Nickel Plated) - Item #333050
- SnapRite® Gypsy Stud 3/16" Barrel (Nickel Plated) - Item #104236
- SnapRite® Pull‑The‑DOT (One Way) Snap Button 1/4" Barrel - Item #104299
- SnapRite® Snap Fastener Button Silver 11/64" Barrel - Item #104151
- Sunbrella® Webbing 1" Black - Item #144408
- Grease Marking Pencil Yellow - Item #111002
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed - Item #19104 / Left Handed #19105
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm - Item #9655
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" - Item #120257
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - Item #102400
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide - Item #103597
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ Walking Foot Sewing Machine - Item #300600
- Sailrite® 1" Swing‑Away Straight Binder - Item #100103
- Spring Clamp - Item #50211
- SnapRite® Surface Mount Stud Die - Item #103754
- Sailrite® SnapRite® System Complete Kit - Item #104500
- Sailrite® Cutting Block and Die Holder - Item #121597
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (110V) - Item #103800
- Stayput® Spin Cut 1/8" (4mm) Tool - Item #104482
- Stainless Steel Washers, 1/8” Drill Bit, Drill, Marker, Straight Edge, Tape Measure