How to Install a Roll-Up Window in a Dodger
A dodger is a great way to stay protected while boating, but does yours ever get a little stuffy in warm weather? Having a roll-up window in your dodger can improve airflow through the cockpit, especially in warmer climates, while still allowing you to enjoy the shade and protection provided by your dodger. Follow along as we show you how to install a roll-up window in your dodger so you can improve the comfort level for your crew in various weather conditions!
Our Sailrite® dodger kits do not come with the supplies that are necessary to install these roll-up windows, so we’ve provided a list of tools and materials necessary to make this addition possible below the video. So all you’ll need to do is add those components to your dodger kit if you’re creating one with the intent to have a roll-up window. This handy feature will lift up in the middle of your dodger and can be secured in place using webbing straps that snap onto the dodger. You can also unroll the window and incorporate it back into your dodger using zippers and snaps for when it’s not needed, making it an extremely versatile feature!
When embarking on a project like this one, it often pays in both time and effort to choose high-quality tools to help you along the way. To help us trim our binding strips, we’ve used the Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package to cut and seal both the binding and zipper teeth. The Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 is our go-to machine to sew the necessary parts of this roll-up window, as it’s powerful enough to tackle the Sunbrella® Marine Grade fabric and clear vinyl window material. And when the Ultrafeed is combined with our Sailrite Ultrafeed Sewing Table and Workhorse™ Servo Motor, we have both ample project space and the ability to take each stitch with complete control and slow speed precision.
How did your roll-up window turn out in the end? Let us know in the comments below!
- Determining Zipper Placement – 01:17 min
- Installing Binding Strips – 2:46 min
- Basting & Sewing Zipper – 11:34 min
- Installing Zipper Slider – 18:54 min
- Making Snap-On Webbing Straps – 22:10 min
- Materials List – 26:44 min
- Sunbrella® Acrylic Bias Binding Tape 3/4” - Item #339 (6 times longer than window height)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas - Item #129 (1 roll)
- Protect-It™ Gray 63" Fabric - Item #122679 (1 to 2 yards)
- V-92 Polyester or Sailrite® Lifetime Thread
- YKK® Continuous Zipper #10 White (VISLON®) - Item #28218 (2.3 times longer than window height)
- YKK® Zipper Slider #10 VISLON® White Plastic Double Pull - Item #28217 (2 each)
- YKK® Zipper #10 SS Top Stop (VISLON®) - Item #100207 (1 pack)
- Sunbrella® Webbing 1” Natural - Item #144404 (4 feet)
- SnapRite® Fastener Cloth-to-Cloth Set With Buttons - Item #104909 (1 pack)
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set - Item #121669
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - Item #102400
- Scribe All® Marking Pencil for Vinyl Black - Item #120682
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - Item #101017
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package - Item #103800
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine - Item #300602
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Sewing Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor - Item #120931
- Battery Operated Thread Burner - Item #121592
- Sailrite® SnapRite® System Complete Kit - Item #104500
- Pres-N-Snap Installation Tool - Item #109011
- Sailrite® Cutting Block & Die Holder - Item #121597
- Straight Edge, Needle Nose Pliers, 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner