DIY UTV Storage Bag With Kneepad
When you're working outdoors with your utility task vehicle (UTV), the last thing you'll want to do is lose your phone, keys or other valuable items. The solution is simple: Add a bag to your UTV to hold important items while you work. You can DIY an easy storage bag that attaches to the inside of the UTV's doors. The bag pattern we'll show you also includes a large kneepad to keep your knees from hitting the door while you're in the vehicle.
We partnered with Kenny Sims of Sims Upholstery for this automotive project. Although he made a door bag/kneepad combo to fit a Yamaha® YXZ, you can follow the same steps to create this item for whatever vehicle you have. In the video, Kenny will walk you through customizing a door bag with kneepad to fit your needs. And when we say "customizing," we mean it. We patterned off of an existing bag/pad combo, but we made our kneepad longer than the original.
How do you pattern from an item that's a different size than your final project will be? Don't worry — it's a lot easier than it may sound. The video will show you how to create a pattern from an item that you can't trace perfectly around. If we can do it, you can do it too.
Besides that, you'll get tons of other helpful hints in this video. We have advice on measuring and installing boxing, making your own piping, creating a fabric zipper stop, sewing binding around tight curves, working wrinkles out of vinyl fabric, and so much more — all to help you make a top-quality UTV storage bag with kneepad. What are you waiting for? Watch the video below to start this useful DIY project.
This door bag with kneepad isn't the only project we've made for a UTV. We have two other videos that show how to create a full enclosure for an open-cab vehicle. To make your own cab enclosure, search for the blogs "DIY UTV Cab Enclosure Side Panels" (#300610XHT) and "DIY UTV Cab Enclosure Rear Panel" (#300611XHT) on our website. Happy sewing!
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Patterning & Cutting Back Panel — 0:25 min.
- Creating Zippered Pouch — 4:25 min.
- Creating Kneepad — 21:34 min.
- Sewing Zippered Pouch to Back Panel — 27:33 min.
- Cutting Foam — 40:51 min.
- Sewing Kneepad to Back Panel — 42:55 min.
- Sewing Binding — 52:08 min.
- Adding Hook & Loop & Grommets — 54:39 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 1:01:06 min.
- Shelter-Rite® Black 61" Fabric (#1120121)
- Morbern® Sanibel Storm 54" Vinyl Fabric (#121184)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36 yds.) (#122065)
- V-92 Black UV Bonded Polyester Thread 4 oz. (1,350 yds.) (#100071)
- YKK® #10 Black Continuous Zipper Chain (Coil Chain) (#102215)
- YKK® #10 Black Single Non-Lock Metal Zipper Pull (Coil) (#102216)
- Medium 5/32" Welting Cord (#107035)
- CushionRite™ Standard Antimicrobial Foam (Medium) #124231
- Polyester Batting White 55" .50" Loft (5 yds.) (#100158)
- 3M™ Super 77™ Spray Adhesive Low VOC 18 oz. (#636100)
- Nylon Loop Black 2" (#100256)
- #1 Spur Grommet 5/16" (Nickel-Plated Brass) (#26315)
- Top Notch® 9 Polyester Bias Binding Tape Black 1" (#120940)
- Tape Measure 120" (#102986)
- Scribe-All® Water Soluble White Marking Pencil (#120681)
- Professional Stainless Steel 10" Scissors (#123615)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Sailrite® Deluxe Fabricator® Sewing Machine Package (110V) (#400600)
- Cording Foot Set 1/4" for Fabricator® (#400414)
- Sailrite® Blade Foam Saw V2 with Carrying Case (110V) (#121244)
- Sailrite® #2 Drill Hole Cutter 3/8" (#121820)
- Sailrite® Cutting Block & Die Holder (#121597)
- #1 Spur Grommet Die Set 5/16" (#18202)
- Barry King Mallet Hammer Style 3# (#68563)
- Sailrite® 1" Swing-Away Binder (#100103)