DIY RV Cover: How to Make a Custom RV Cover
An RV is a big investment, so it’s important to protect it between trips and during the winter. Sure, you could buy a cheap, one-size-fits-all cover online ... but you’d have to buy a new cover every year. Inexpensive store-bought covers never last long. They tear easily and don’t fit your RV well, leaving your vacation haven vulnerable to scratches, weather damage and moisture that can cost you big bucks in repairs.
Instead, save yourself money and hassle by making your own RV cover. In this detailed project video, we’ll show you how to make the best RV cover with high-quality outdoor fabric that should last up to 15 years. You'll learn how to add zippered access doors, pattern around obstacles, pleat the cover fabric at corners and install zipper guards — just to name a few helpful tips. There is so much more to see and learn in the video.
Now, we’ll be up-front: This is a large project with a lot of steps. But don’t let that discourage you! Like the saying goes, the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time — and the same is true for this DIY. Focus on completing each step before thinking about the next one, and you’ll be done with your motorhome cover in no time. And remember, you're not working on this project alone. We’ll be here to help you every step of the way.
You can do it! Watch the video below to begin conquering this DIY.
Congratulations, you made a custom travel trailer cover! Now it’s time to brag about all your hard work. Show off pictures of your completed cover on social media and tag us (#sailrite) so we can take a look too. We can’t wait to see how your camper cover turned out, so don’t leave us hanging — share your project pics today.
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Rough Measuring for Fabric Required — 1:03 min.
- Patterning the Corners of the RV — 5:40 min.
- Detailed Measuring of RV — 19:30 min.
- Creating Top Fabric Panel — 23:29 min.
- Making Zipper Flaps — 40:21 min.
- Cutting & Sewing Side Fabric Panels — 44:50 min.
- Cutting Zipper Strip off Side Panels — 54:07 min.
- Sewing Horizontal Zippers — 56:42 min.
- Installing Vertical Zippers — 1:28:58 min.
- Patterning Corners of Side Panels — 1:48:50 min.
- Installing Roll-Up Entry Door — 1:58:35 min.
- Creating & Sewing Fabric Wedge — 2:14:38 min.
- Fitting Cover on RV & Marking — 2:35:19 min.
- Installing Zippered Roll-Up Access to Heater Vent — 2:40:42 min.
- Adding Webbing Straps to Roll-Up Door — 2:55:55 min.
- Creating Hem Along Bottom Edge — 2:58:06 min.
- Sewing on Webbing Loops — 3:11:43 min.
- Adding Vents — 3:15:07 min.
- Reinforcing Chafe-Prone Areas — 3:20:45 min.
- Making Shock Cord Belly Straps — 3:23:12 min.
- Installing RV Cover — 3:24:58 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 3:31:08 min.
- Filament Strapping Tape 3/4" (#5643)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas (50 yds.) (#129)
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (50 yds.) (#104167)
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material 74" (#103134)
- Top Notch® 9 Fabric 60" (We used #120448)
- Shelter-Rite® Black 61" Fabric (#1120121)
- V-92 Black UV Bonded Polyester Thread 4 oz. (1,350 yds.) (#100071)
- YKK® #10 Black Single Pull Finished Zipper (VISLON® Chain) (#104830-84)
- YKK® #10 Black Single Pull Finished Zipper (VISLON® Chain) (#104830-180)
- YKK® #10 Black Continuous Zipper Chain (VISLON® Chain) (#100030)
- YKK® #10 Black Single Locking Plastic Zipper Pull (VISLON®) (#100033)
- YKK® SNAPCAP® #10 Black Zipper Top Stop (VISLON®) (#123708)
- YKK® #10 Black Zipper Bottom Stop (VISLON® Chain) (#123707)
- Polyester Black Hook 1" (#105035)
- Polyester Black Loop 1" (#105036)
- 1" Black Polyester Webbing (#100PLLWBK-FT)
- Boat Vent Aero™ Black (#121377)
- DOT® Snap Fastener & Pull-The-DOT® Eyelet 1/4" (Nickel-Plated Brass) (#333555)
- DOT® Snap Fastener Standard Cloth-to-Cloth Stud (Nickel-Plated Brass) (#333100)
- DOT® Snap Fastener Normal Action Socket (Nickel-Plated Brass) (#333050)
- DOT® Snap Fastener Button 11/64" (Nickel-Plated Brass) (#333777)
- Shock Bungee Cord 1/4" (Black) (#104326)
- Hog Rings - Shock Cord Clamps 1/4" (#100952)
- Shock Cord Hook With Cleat Black Plastic 1/4" - 5/16" (#100297)
- Leech Line Dacron® 1/8" Black (#212114)
- Micro Marine Ratchet for 1/8" Line (#122018)
- Tape Measure 120" (#102986)
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed (#19104)
- Professional Stainless Steel 10" Scissors (#123615)
- Grease Marking Pencil Yellow (#111002)
- Soapstone Fabric Marking Pencil White (#102766)
- Sailrite® Tempered Cutting Glass (#121915)
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (110V) (#103800)
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package (#122177)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 PREMIUM Sewing Machine With WorkerB® Power Pack (110V) (#311603)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table (#120934)
- Deluxe 5-1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide (#103597)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Seam Ripper Deluxe (#18104)
- Sailrite® Cutting Block & Die Holder (#121597)
- Scratch Awl Yellow (#2354)
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler (#107040)
- Pres-N-Snap Installation Tool (#109011)
- Hog Ring Pliers (#100950)
- Ladder, Marker, Straightedge, Stapler, Screwdriver, Calculator, Hammer, T Square, Needle-Nose Pliers