How to Make a Sail Pack
Are you looking for a quicker way to flake and cover your mainsail? Have you tried using a sail pack? Sail packs are an adaptation of traditional sail covers that work with a lazy jack system to make setting and dousing your mainsail quick and easy. Our How to Make a Sail Pack Video highlights tips, techniques, and step-by-step instructions for making this popular sail cover.
Sail packs are held upright by lazy jack lines and stay in place while you sail. The pack is always open and when you are ready to lower the sail, the lazy jack lines help the sail to flake neatly in place inside the cover. This sail pack design features sleeves for battens or PVC pipes to be inserted along the top, which helps keep the cover open during flaking and reduces flutter when the sail is hoisted.
This sail pack is made from Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric and features a long zipper along the top of the cover for quick closure and a removable forward mast boot for closing off the front of the cover. In this video you will learn how to measure your sail and pattern, sew, and install a sail pack.
- Taking Measurements - 0:48 min.
- Creating Cover Panels - 4:16 min.
- Sewing Forward & Aft Hems - 10:47 min.
- Completing Top Zipper Closure & Pockets - 15:40 min.
- Sewing Bottom Hem - 25:13 min.
- Starting Mast Boot - 27:02 min.
- Attaching Lock Straps, Rings & Loops - 29:32 min.
- Preparing Slits for Lazy Jack Lines - 40:49 min.
- Finishing Cover Panels - 49:26 min.
- Finishing Mast Boot - 51:21 min.
- Optional Zipper Slider Control Line - 1:00:19 min.
- Materials List - 1:07:21 min.
- 60" Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric
- Tape Dacron 5oz White 6" (Not Adhesive Backed) #22110
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery #129
- Thread V-92 Polyester White UV 4oz #100079
- YKK® Continuous Zipper #10 VISLON® White #28212
- YKK® Zipper #10 VISLON® Stainless Steel Top Stop #100207
- YKK® Zipper Slider #10 VISLON® White Plastic Single Non-Locking Pull #103186
- YKK® Zipper #10 VISLON® 36" or 48" White Plastic Single Lock Pull #103200
- Webbing Polyester 2" White 3000# #51208
- DOT® Common Sense Fastener Eyelet #777005
- DOT® Twist Lock Washer #777010
- DOT® Twist Lock Fastener 2 Screw Stud #777030
- DOT® Snap Fastener Button Silver 11/64" Barrel (Nickel) #333777
- D-Ring Without Bar #0 - 1" #485
- Webbing Polyester 1" White 1500# #531600
- Dacron® Sailcloth 4oz White 36" #926
- Snap Fastener Installation Tool #25204
- Sewing Machine
- Tape Measure
- Tape Measure
- Soapstone Fabric Marking Pencil White #102766
- Scratch Awl Yellow #2354
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package #103800
- HSO Blade for Engel Hotknife #4325
- Deluxe 5-1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Tucking Tool #766100
- Utility Knife
- Premium Cutting Block 10"x10" #103642
Add-Ons for Optional Zipper Control Line:
- Strap Eye SS #28221
- Harken 082 Bullet Block Single #123082
- Harken 083 Bullet Block Single with Becket
- Leechline Dacron 1/8" #21209
Prefer to have written instructions? Check out our Sail Cover Instructions Booklet (#104786) containing instructions and diagrams for making Sail Packs as well as Throated and Rectangular Sail Covers. Ready to build your sail pack? Shop complete sail pack kits right here at Sailrite.
Loose Footed Mainsail
If you have a loose footed mainsail, watch the short video below on how to make a locking strap that will work for your loose footed mainsail. These extra materials are not included in a Sailrite Sail Pack Kit so you will need to order the items listed in the video separately.
Do you use a sail pack? Tell us what you love about it in the comments!